This is kind of off topic and please don't make fun of me....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ziabis, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Ziabis

ZiabisWell Known MemberMember

My aquarium is not level, be it from the floor or the stand I made.

Facing the tank, the left side is off by maybe close to 1/2 inch.

So my first question is, do I raise the left side up to meet the right or the other side up?

2nd question is, once I figure out which side, do I raise the actual aquarium up or raise the stand up?

3rdly, what would be recomended to raise either the aquarium SAFELY or the stand?

Ok if I was to raise the stand, I would have a problem, the stand I made has 4 seperate legs, (the legs are really sheets of playwood)
    I added a pic of the stand facing from front

Please don't make fun of me, my math skills are very poor and some times little quanderies like this
    puzzle me.

Would appreciate all your help. Thank you in advance...

Attached Files:

2. outlaw

outlawWell Known MemberMember

Hello, welcome to fishlore!

See answers below in bold. These are how I would do it.

So my first question is, do I raise the left side up to meet the right or the other side up? You want to raise the stand itself. Raising just a side of the tank can/will add unnecessary stress to the glass and seams possibly causing bigger issues than un-level.

2nd question is, once I figure out which side, do I raise the actual aquarium up or raise the stand up? See above

3rdly, what would be recomended to raise either the aquarium SAFELY or the stand? Your local hardware store should have shims you can buy. Typically made of wood and slopped, you just slide under the leg/s until level.I would drain most/all of the water out of the tank before doing this.

Ok if I was to raise the stand, I would have a problem, the stand I made has 4 seperate legs, (the legs are really sheets of playwood)
    I added a pic of the stand facing from front

Can you take pictures of the stand? If possible, you may want to remove the tank from the stand and add reinforcements to the legs or replace with 2x4's. Also, usually a cross "beam" is more then helpful in stabilizing individual legs.

Hope this helps, I'm sure there will be others with even more helpul info to add.
    Outlaw

3. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

No one will make fun of you. We are all here to help each other.

I would be inclined to use some wooden shims (found at Ace, Lowe's, Home Depot and other home improvement stores or make your own) and place them under the high end of the aquarium stand. If the tank water level is lowest on the left side and higher on the right, then add the shims under the stand on the right side. This should help to level the the tank and the stand.

Plastic shims:

Ken

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  4. dezignstuffValued MemberMember

The safest thing to do would be to empty the tank and make repairs to the stand. I assume you know the tank isn't level because the water is different heights on opposite sides of the tank.

On the side where the water is highest, put a 1/2" thick piece of plywood under that leg. Then get a 1/4" thick piece of wood and put it under the leg next to that one, and ideally a 1/8" piece under the 3rd leg with the 4th leg on the floor.

Another thing you might try would be to go to the hardware store and buy 8 of those adjustable screw feet. Make sure they and the plywood are strong enough to hold the weight of your tank. With those installed it will be easier to level the tank properly.

Best of luck.

5. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

Thank you all for you info.
    I like the idea of the plastic shims.

And thank you...

Im just thinking... Now the "legs" are plywood so they are only 3/4 inch thick. I guess it would be smart to place the shims length wise along the leg and throughout the whole leg which is approx. 20in long. Then to shim up the next leg as well and so on. So no leg is left off the floor.

6. LyleBWell Known MemberMember

Agree with using shims under the stand, however I believe you got the statement quoted above backwards.

If the water level appears lower on the left, you will need to raise the right side of the stand to even it out. The water will actually be level, you need to bring the tank up to the height needed to match the water.

Placing the shims, and raising the left side of the tank will exacerbate the problem.

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant, but thought I'd try to clarify.

7. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

I stand corrected :) Thanks LyleB! I also corrected my post.

I had to rethink that for a moment. lol

Ken

8. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

Ok now im confused...

I need to raise the right side not the left, and this will level out the tank?

What I need is a level. Argh...

9. LyleBWell Known MemberMember

No problem, we all mis-speak occasionally. I've just lived in old houses with uneven floors most of my life, so I end up shimming tanks quite often. :)

10. fishynoob

fishynoobWell Known MemberMember

Lol nice pun teehee

11. LyleBWell Known MemberMember

Easy way to demonstrate to yourself what needs to be done is to take a moderately shallow, rectangular pan (or even a glass of water). Partially fill it with water, take it to your tank and manipulate it so it is mimicking your tank's water level, then adjust the pan until the water appears level. What did you have to do to the pan to get things level? Do the same to your tank.

12. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

Well gosh, your right... Yes I actually did the trial and wow its the right side... Thanks everyone... Could you imagine if I did the left side, I would have to get my eyes checked LOL
    I will get a friend to help, theres no way I could do this alone. I am only able to remove most of the water as I have no other tank to hold my friends... Wish me luck...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice