This is crawling around on our glass

finley37

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
so we find this little guy crawling around on our glass today, using a magnifying glass he looks like a baby jellyfish, his head gets bigger as he goes along the glass then shrinks again. Its very odd. pics are kind of hard to see, and with it being kind of transparent doesnt help. Anyone have any idea what it might be?

Attachments

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Your camera is auto-focusing on the background behind the thing. Does your camera have the ability to let you manually focus?

I'm wondering if it's a kind of anemone. If it's attached to the glass, I don't think it's a jellyfish, but anemones operate very similarly, they just attach themselves to something.

finley37

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I took this thru a magnifying glass with my iphone. if I can find him today I'll try again with my camera, its cool what ever it is.

charzar-g

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I know this might not be it, but some people have actually found baby octopuses on their live rock!

finley37

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
my husband swore he saw something really weird swimming in the tank this morning.... we dont have any fish yet..... he said it looked like a feather duster swimming around. we have several of them that have come out on one rock.

sgh360

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
are you talking about the white blob close to the pick rock?

finley37

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
yeah, the picture didnt come out as good as I hoped it would. here are some better ones that I took just now, seems we have 2 of them now.

Attachments

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oooh they look weird, hope you get to the bottom of this!!

finley37

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
here's a few more pics of them...... they're cool little guys, I just dont know what they are.

Attachments

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i am wondering if it is a free swimmin cnidarian of some type

finley37

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had never heard of those Kloseo, but I looked it up and I guess its possible. that would explain the feather duster looking thing my husband said he saw swimming in the tank yesterday. as I'm pretty SURE it wasnt one of the feather dusters....lol

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They're definitely cool. I just hope they're not something that will pose a health risk for the rest of your tank. :-\

sarahphim1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I goggled it and this is something someone else said it was lol....hope this helps....

Question: Help me ID these zooplankton? in my freshwater tank! 5/4/09
Hello,
I was observing my 16gallon tropical freshwater tank today and noticed what first appeared to be small translucent white debris on the inside of the aquarium wall.? Upon closer observation, I realized that these are some sort of plankton stuck on the wall of the tank, probably about 0.25mm body with 5 thin, longish tentacles sticking out from them.? I am noticing that these tentacles are ever so slightly moving, extending, then curving towards the "body", as if marine corals or sea anemone might feed.
<They're a Cnidarian called Hydra, and yes, they are somewhat closely related to corals and anemones, though surprisingly perhaps, more closely related to the Portuguese Man o' War.>I tried my best to photograph these guys and circled them on Photoshop.?
I've found what appears to be copepods in my tank before... which are pretty well known and there are plenty of photos on the web to help ID them.? But these things, I have no clue what they are, or whether they are beneficial, harmless, or harmful.?
<Somewhere in the middle. Hydra can and will eat baby fish, potentially as large as newborn Guppies, and would probably also be a threat to newly hatched freshwater shrimps as well. On the other hand, they are too small to be of any threat to adult fish.>I hope you will be able to help ID them!? Thank you so much in advance.
Sascha
<Fascinating animals, and well worth observing! Cheers, Neale.

finley37

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I checked it out saraphim but hydra are freshwater beings from what I can tell. this is a saltwater tank. I dont see them using their little tentacle thingy's really.... they mainly just move around on the glass with the main part of their bodies looks like they are eating tiny bugs on the glass.

finley37

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think I figured it out.... I think they are clear acoel flatworms....

new_sw_gurl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Are they possibly Planeria? Flatworms?? I had some that looked just like this in my fuge. It's hard to tell how big these are.

The Tiny feather duster thing swimming is most likely a hydra. They look like tiny jellyfish when they swim around. They're cool to watch but you never know exactly what type of Hydra they are. I swear mine are growing into aiptasia. It's driving me bonkers!!

Looks like I was one minute too late!

finley37

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
this is a picture I found when looking up acoel flatworms.... they say they are harmless and sometimes beneficial

thanks Mandi...... great minds think alike.....

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Awwwww man, I wanted them to have a much cuter name than flatworm..... :anim_40:

sarahphim1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ah, that is true Finley37, should seen that they were freshwater...the link you posted does look like them. When I google the acoel flatworms the s all show them as an icky brown color-hopefully yours stay that clear bluish color

sarahphim1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think it's hilarious how you never know what you're going to get with a saltwater tank...It makes me want to start one just to see what wierd creatures end up in my tank

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads