This is a huge moment for me,

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by Thunder_o_b, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

a HUGE moment for me. Sunhawk got me this discus (along with another one that did not make it) as an anniversary gift back at the end of Aug. I have never had one, always wanted to have them but was unsure if I had the skill to pull it off. For the last four months I have been acclimated it to light, other fish, and the cameras flash. Tonight while I was shooting the catfish school with that cute little gold angel swimming with them, the discus cruised from the cave and thick plants in the back and posed for me with no fear at all. Heck, it acted like one of the angels! I found that it is to large of a fish to use the 150mm macro (I have to be so far away from the tank that the flashes become problematic) so I'll give it a shot with the 50mm and see how it goes. Not the best, but this is only the beginning. I plan to have some really nice shots to share with you in the not too distant future.

I do have a question, as you can see the scales on parts of its body seem to be damaged, but when the angle of the light changes it looks ok. It has been this way since day one. Is this something I need to be concerned about? It is active and eats very well. Having studied the photograph I am wondering if these are injuries.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

beautiful looks fish!

I would not worry as much about those spots myself as long as he is eating and swiming fine. They oculd be past injuries and are just scars of the past.

3. cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

odd... Did the "damaged" spots change over time at all? Anyway he looks great makes me want one =p

4. fishaddictionValued MemberMember

I agree with piranah 3. Very goose pictures. :)

5. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Thank you pirahnah :) I think you are right, it came from a big box pet store. It was mis-priced. The guy there tried to tell his boss but was told to sell it at that price. It was in a tank with sharp rocks and several other types of fish.

Not completely sure as it hides most of the time…Till now. I am tempted to set up a larger tank foe them, but that will have to wait for a bit.

Thank you fishaddiction :)

6. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Great photo, well done!

7. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

If those are old injuries and not open sores I wouldn't worry about it. Discus can be very friendly and responsive to whoever feeds them. Mine stayed out all the time and would follow me from one end of the tank to the other.

Looks like he may have had Hole in the Head(HTH) disease at one time.

Glad your enjoying your discus :)
    carol

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  8. EiennaFishlore VIPMember

It looks like missing scales, probably from other fish or the sharp rocks you mentioned. They don't appear to be infected or anything, so you're probably fine. :)
    Very nice photo, and glad your discus is doing well <3

9. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Thank you AlanGreene :)

Really? I did not think there were any survivors once that they got HTH. Looks like I ended up with a good, strong fish. I don't mind scars, shows it is a fighter. I love these fish. If this one works out I may feel brave enough to try for more.

Thank you Eienna :) Once I figure out the proper lens and lighting I should have some nice shots to share.

10. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

HTH is a rough disease but some do survive.
    carol

11. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

12. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

13. Meeps83Well Known MemberMember

Gorgeous fish! I seem to always get excited when you post because I'm hoping for pictures.

14. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Here's to hoping that enough survive to breed, that the day will soon come it will no longer be a health threat.

I am avid, so I am appreciative of any chance to improve. Thank you very much for the links Ryan :D

Good morning Ken :)

Thank you very much for the links :D

Thank you Meeps :) I am happy that you like my shots :D

15. Orion5Well Known MemberMember

Nice fish!! It looks like you may have rescued it from a less than perfect situation, and I really like that. :)

The scale damage is something that happens often, however when it does the best thing to do is just be more diligent about maintaining perfect water conditions for a time until it gets better. I'm not sure if this happens with discus, but many goldfish are missing scales that don't really come back, and this makes them less desireable to collectors, as well as generally more susceptible to disease. This may be the same for discus so you might have to be a little more careful with water quality if it doesn't heal.

What a beautiful fish! Are you thinking of getting another one? I hear they like to be in schools of two or more.

16. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Thank you Orion :) It seems like a good strong fish. The tank it is in is a 44gal pent. Filtration is under gravel and a Marineland 350GPH canister. There are two bubblers also. The tank is heavily planted with live plants. PH 6.6, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates negligible, there is a low level of salt in the water as well. The discus is in with four of its cousins (angel fish) and seems happy.

I will as you suggest, I will keep a very close eye on it.

I am very interested in having more, but I will wait until I can set up a tank of a much larger size. I would like to reproduce the Amazon river environment someday.

17. EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Good plan. I have to say I think four angels in 44 pentagon is a bit much...but I guess if they are getting along, it's OK? You will need to upgrade soon or they'll stunt, though.

18. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Thank you Eienna :) If it becomes necessary to thin the population of the tank, I am fortunate to have someone that I know to take them. He use to breed discus fish before the big box stores (he works in one now) and has many large tanks. He is the one that gave the clown loach (assassin) a 90 gal home.

19. EiennaFishlore VIPMember

That's cool. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice