This has nothing do do with fish, rather more to do with idle curiosity

1. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I am a curious type, and inclined to asking seemingly, and truly, pointless questions, rather than have a research company do it for me.
    So, I shall proceed:

How many people lock their doors at night?
    During the day, when off shopping or what ever?
    Sometimes, but only when alone?
    Never, having a small tactical thermonuclear device at hand?
    Never?
    Rarely?
    Always?

2. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

How many people lock their doors at night? ALWAYS. You never know.
    During the day, when off shopping or what ever? ALWAYS

Being a native of Silicon Valley, California, we are all tekkies around here and use devices such as camera's, electronic door locks, garage door remote opener/closer/sensor deivce checkers via smartphone etc.

Besides having a small son, we monitor doors/windows, etc via smartphone.....

So don't come lurking around our place..... ;) just sayin'

3. claireputput Well Known Member Member

LOL! Only you would ask this question and so, I ask it back?
    And mine depends on mood-and how many animals/neighbors! :)

4. smee82 Well Known Member Member

My door automatically lock when you shut it and my door is always shut.

5. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

I dont even go round the back yard without slipping a bolt on the front door.
    Maybe a bit of an over kill, but if you yawn here, someone will steal your gold tooth.

6. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Maybe get away with not locking your door in Canada, but not here in SoCal.

7. lorianne621 Member Member

Wow! This is a great question... and I would love to know the answers... but along with those answers I would like to know some of the information that would naturally seem to change the answers for me...

For example... the age and gender of the person answering the question... me, I am 51 and female... and yes, these days I always lock my doors... with age comes some experience and not all of it good... those experiences, be they personal... or just something we heard about that happened to someone we knew make us more careful.
    How about where we are geographically... I know live in a city with a pretty dense population and I live on one of the busy streets... I lock my doors even during the day and I set an alarm at night. When I go home and visit my Mom in a tiny town in Texas waaaay out in the country where you can't even walk to the nearest neighbor... we don't lock up unless we leave and the only kind of alarm we ever consider for her is one to alert medical assistance as she gets older. :D I guess it all depends on what makes you comfortable... I feel more comfortable out in the middle of nowhere at my Mom's miles from the nearest neighbor. But it makes my best friend worry about me. She is much more comfortable in the city, where she was raised. She says at least she can run out into the street and wave down people to help her. :D

So those are my thoughts...

8. blusshed Well Known Member Member

Always, always, always.
    exception of hubby's off days.
    hes a police officer so no reason to during the day while we're home but I ALWAYS leave the front screen double locked. :)

9. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Ric, my home has various physical and digital layers of security as a first line of defense. Similar to June, im kind of a techy, and have somewhat of a virtual home and property.

10. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

That's a coincidence, blusshed, in that I'm a retired cop (Toronto), took them 31 years to get rid of me.
    On occasion I would have worries and ask my wife to lock up while I was at work, but she would normally ignore me, which is sort of moot, as if anyone ever tried to enter the house, my daughter, me, and my dogs would likely line up behind her for protection:)-------she's a grand Scots' Lass who fights in the tradition of William Wallace:).
    And Claireputput, I basically never lock my door, on the basis that anyone breaking in might have a fuller wallet than mine.
    Thanks very much to all, I had no idea that there would be such a response--best to all, Rick

11. old hippy Member Member

Our personal nukes are a bit dated and don't get proper respect these days, so we basically rely on our old, senile dogs for home protection. Mojo and Majik might at best stagger over and fall on an assailant, but we could always hope the bad guy will slip on the streams of drool and throw out his back.

Actually, living in a house with floor to ceiling glass everywhere, you quickly realize that door locks won't keep any determined and minimally intelligent individual out of the residence. A stone, brick, or cloth-wrapped hand are all you need to "break in" to our place. We lock our doors when we go to bed at night or when we are leaving the house, but that is basically so we can tell the insurance people, "Hey, we tried."

Driving is different. We always lock doors on the car. Paranoia strikes deep -into your life it will creep- or however the old song goes.

(Full disclosure- we've had the house robbed twice- but, hey, it was before the dogs.)

12. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

I lock my door at night, and whenever I'm not home, and sometimes when I am home. Aside from the obvious reasons of where I live and that I'm a single female, I really have no choice. People think my apartment is the bathroom and are constantly wandering up my stairs, looking for the forest service visitor center across the street.

And yes, I know how crazy that sounds. But it's true.

13. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

I lock my property with two 60kg [~130lbs] Rhodesian Ridgebacks that live inside.

Anyone is welcome to enter if they choose, but it's unlikely they'll be leaving :;laughing

14. smee82 Well Known Member Member

A friend of my from years and years ago had a Rhodesian Ridgeback, they definitely are one of the best security systems you can have. His dog would let you walk all around the yard and follow around you looking for a pat but if you walked up on the balcony you weren't getting back off again.

We were at the pub for a good ole aussie pub lunch once when he got a call from the cops, turned out hid dog had two JWs trapped. We had forgotten to lock the back door so he came out when they knocked and wouldn't let them leave.

15. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Firstly, I have OCD.

Secondly, I always have my door locked, unless I am going through it and then there's the checking ;)

16. kevymd Well Known Member Member

I have a fearsome guard cat, I fear nothing. The door is unlocked, and wide open. Come at me, Bro!

Just kidding. I tossed that cat a moth and she ran away. I try to lock everything, I really do. I just occasionally forget, like if I'm using my patio and I think I'm going to use it again, but I don't? or, you know, when I forget my keys. in the lock. outside.

17. renthus Well Known Member Member

I never lock the door to my room (I live in a dorm), but the door to the building require a student ID card to get in, so I think I'm fine.

18. 77Impala Well Known Member Member

Around here I trust most of my neighbors on my block. But one street over I don't trust anyone there. They have been known to steal right out of your front yard. I am even starting to lock my vehicle when I am inside it more often than I ever did.

We keep our doors or screen doors locked at all times.

Tactical thermonuclear device? Nope, I would rather have a Disintegrator ray device, leaves no evidence, LOL!

19. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Since losing my last dogs a few years ago I always lock my doors & windows when I go out even if it's just for a short time & when I'm in my doors are locked.
    I do live in what's considered a good area with low crime but having been robbed in my local Tesco supermarket a couple of years ago it's made me even more vigilant.

20. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Well, there goes my second poll about just where everyone stores their valuables, I guess.
    I do agree that dogs tend to make for the best security around, closely followed by mad, killer cockatoos.
    I don't see many Rhodesian Ridgebacks around anymore, but they are great dogs, perhaps they are now Zimbabwe Ridgebacks or something. Luved the bit about getting called away from an Aussie pub crawl as the dog was annoying an intruder:)-best to all, rick