This Gorgeous Fish Is A Catfish?

Uday Motwani

Member
HI everyone,

I'm new here & I have a query about the Fish in the picture. I recently purchased this Fish (overall 4 specimens) but I can't recollect the name. Is it a Catfish?
 

Gypsy13

Member
Welcome. Hubby asks how big is it? He’s just nosy. I’m waiting for the pic do download so he can take a look for me.
 

Gypsy13

Member
Hubby says yes but his description leaves me at a loss as to which one.
 
  • Thread Starter

Uday Motwani

Member
Gypsy13 said:
Hubby says yes but his description leaves me at a loss as to which one.
I guessed it to be a Catfish because of the whiskers. All of the 4 specimens are about 5 inches. They are quite active & swim mostly at the bottom of the fish tank.
 

goldface

Member
My best guess is it’s a species of woodcat.
 
  • Thread Starter

Uday Motwani

Member
scarface said:
My best guess is it’s a species of woodcat.
Bingo!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it is. Thanks a ton. They're gorgeous, active & in a way unique in appearance, especially the dorsal fin which reminds me of an electric bolt.
 

Mcasella

Member
Just make sure not to house them with anything that can fit in their mouth (the fish that live with it need to be wider or taller than the width of the cat's face).
 

chromedome52

Member
The odd shaped dorsal spine indicates that it is male. They use that to hold the female during breeding. Note that they can get close to a foot in length.
 
  • Thread Starter

Uday Motwani

Member
chromedome52 said:
The odd shaped dorsal spine indicates that it is male. They use that to hold the female during breeding. Note that they can get close to a foot in length.
As a matter of fact, I see them doing this while mating, Quite unusual. I've got a few Blue Gouramis in the tank as well. All are peaceful in each other's existence.
 

Lion

Member
A male Fisher's Woodcat, Trachelyopterus fisheri.
Used to keep a group of these, possibly one of my favourite catfish. Active, peaceful, interesting behaviour and even fed from the surface. But yep, get to a fair size not be trusted with very small fish.
 
  • Thread Starter

Uday Motwani

Member
Two of the Four Woodcats in the tank. They have Blue & Honey Gouramis for company. All are active & eat from the surface.
 
  • Thread Starter

Uday Motwani

Member
A great closeup!
 

chromedome52

Member
FYI, that's not a Honey Gourami, it is a female Sunset Thicklip. Honeys do not get that large, they max out around 2.5 inches, usually a bit smaller. Sunset Thicklips are often sold misidentified as Honey.
 
  • Thread Starter

Uday Motwani

Member
chromedome52 said:
FYI, that's not a Honey Gourami, it is a female Sunset Thicklip. Honeys do not get that large, they max out around 2.5 inches, usually a bit smaller. Sunset Thicklips are often sold misidentified as Honey.
Thanks for identifying them. Appreciate it.
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom