This Gorgeous Fish Is A Catfish?

Uday Motwani

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new here & I have a query about the Fish in the picture. I recently purchased this Fish (overall 4 specimens) but I can't recollect the name. Is it a Catfish?

Attachments

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome. Hubby asks how big is it? He’s just nosy. I’m waiting for the pic do download so he can take a look for me.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hubby says yes but his description leaves me at a loss as to which one.

Uday Motwani

Reaction score
Gypsy13 said:
Hubby says yes but his description leaves me at a loss as to which one.
I guessed it to be a Catfish because of the whiskers. All of the 4 specimens are about 5 inches. They are quite active & swim mostly at the bottom of the fish tank.

Uday Motwani

Reaction score
scarface said:
My best guess is it’s a species of woodcat.
Bingo!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it is. Thanks a ton. They're gorgeous, active & in a way unique in appearance, especially the dorsal fin which reminds me of an electric bolt.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just make sure not to house them with anything that can fit in their mouth (the fish that live with it need to be wider or taller than the width of the cat's face).

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The odd shaped dorsal spine indicates that it is male. They use that to hold the female during breeding. Note that they can get close to a foot in length.

Uday Motwani

Reaction score
chromedome52 said:
The odd shaped dorsal spine indicates that it is male. They use that to hold the female during breeding. Note that they can get close to a foot in length.
As a matter of fact, I see them doing this while mating, Quite unusual. I've got a few Blue Gouramis in the tank as well. All are peaceful in each other's existence.

Lion

Valued Member
Reaction score
A male Fisher's Woodcat, Trachelyopterus fisheri.
Used to keep a group of these, possibly one of my favourite catfish. Active, peaceful, interesting behaviour and even fed from the surface. But yep, get to a fair size not be trusted with very small fish.
20171019_172547.jpg

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FYI, that's not a Honey Gourami, it is a female Sunset Thicklip. Honeys do not get that large, they max out around 2.5 inches, usually a bit smaller. Sunset Thicklips are often sold misidentified as Honey.

Uday Motwani

Reaction score
chromedome52 said:
FYI, that's not a Honey Gourami, it is a female Sunset Thicklip. Honeys do not get that large, they max out around 2.5 inches, usually a bit smaller. Sunset Thicklips are often sold misidentified as Honey.
Thanks for identifying them. Appreciate it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom