This forum comes up whenever I do research on my fish.....

sjripke

This forum comes up whenever I do research in my fish. Excited to learn and share my/our fish journey with everybody.
I am so ecstatic to finally be a part of the fish community!
I was hesitant about joining at first, but 4 months and a batch of fry later, I overcame my laziness and signed up!
Whenever I get an animal, I always do my research; no matter how consumed I become with it, or how tiring it can be; It's only fair to them that I do everything in my power to learn all that I possibly can about them to make their lives with me more comfortable and sufficient.
I am here to ask lots of questions and take any advice that you are willing to give me.
I have 4 fish tanks at the moment. One 10g, one 7g, one 2.5g (for fry), and one 90g that I am still in the process of setting up. I have 8 female guppies, 4 male guppies, 4 female platys, and 3 mollies (one male and 2 female.)
Oh, and I recently just bought 2 snails. I have sponge filters, airstones, a source of light, and live plants in all of them. I also check all the levels of everything in the water. I've done what I can to make them have the fishiest life possible. But sometimes that's not enough.
It seems like whenever I get new fish from my local family-owned pet store 1-2 of the new fish end up dying and the others survive.
What I've noticed a lot about these forums is too many people are spending most of their time questioning other people's ph levels and ammonia and nitrates and nitrites, when we really should be questioning other miscellaneous involvements. I understand that those are extremely important factors, but they can be the smallest things that can make the fishy's life miserable.
I'm all ears for every response on here. I have lots of questions and stories I can't wait to share with you all.
Thank you guys for reading this. P.s this is my first forum post ever. (usually I just read them) Thanks :)

Noroomforshoe

Hi, welcome to fishlore.
Water chemistry is an important place to start touble shooting. But sure there is much more.
about your fish =
How are you introducing the new fish? do you quarantine? do you acclimate?

Jo7984

Welcome :)

There is so much fantastic knowledge and experience in this forum to gain from, and with 4 tanks I'm sure you will add to that.

As Noroomforshoe said, water chemistry is sooooo important for fish.
If my fish seem a bit "off" it's certainly the first thing I check.
But there are so many other factors that can contribute too.

Hope you find the forum as helpful as I have.

WRWAquarium

Hi and welcome.

Any question just ask, theres always helpful people around :)

sjripke

Hi, welcome to fishlore.
Water chemistry is an important place to start touble shooting. But sure there is much more.
about your fish =
How are you introducing the new fish? do you quarantine? do you acclimate?
Hi, Thank you! Excited to be here! I'm new to this so bear with me. I may not know how to respond to threads or "thread" right lol Yes to both of those questions. I have a separate tank, as some might call it a hospital tank. I'm actually dealing with an issue right now as I type this. I bought some guppies from my local family-owned pet store 3 days ago and one of them just died, The other one is floating tail end up in the saltwater bath I have him in now, and the other one is perfectly fine. The one floating tail end up defiantly had cotton mouth when I bought him and now it's eating away at his tail and I feel so bad. Looks very painful. I think on top of it he has swimming bladder. My platy is also in the salt bath right now because he has swimming bladder and can barely get to the surface but it looks like he's letting out a poo as we speak. So that might be a good sign. Okay, now the guppy in the salt bath is back to normal (right way up) so I'm going to take them out
Hi and welcome.

Any question just ask, theres always helpful people around :)
Thank you! I always have questions lol I'm trying to find the easiest way to clean and manage my tanks right now. It's always such a hassle for me. I can never figure out how to vacuum without taking out more than 25% of the water. I watched people vacuum their tanks on youtube and the water doesn't flow out like mine does. I can't tell if they're pinching the hose so they don't lose too much water or what.

12696.jpg
Welcome :)

There is so much fantastic knowledge and experience in this forum to gain from, and with 4 tanks I'm sure you will add to that.

As Noroomforshoe said, water chemistry is sooooo important for fish.
If my fish seem a bit "off" it's certainly the first thing I check.
But there are so many other factors that can contribute too.

Hope you find the forum as helpful as I have.
Thank you! I appreciate it. I'm sure I will. It's better to have people to talk to about things fish related rather than google search because you get so many different answers that way which makes it harder

MyFishAddiction

Welcome!

AvaTheFish

I'm so glad you found this forum! It is truly amazing and has saved me sooooo many times! Also, I'm really jealous of your set up!

Cherryshrimp420

What I've noticed a lot about these forums is too many people are spending most of their time questioning other people's ph levels and ammonia and nitrates and nitrites, when we really should be questioning other miscellaneous involvements.

Yes I agree... ammonia, nitrite spikes are quite rare. But over the internet it's hard to measure other stuff, the tests (including tds) provide some clues.... Which may or may not be helpful.

If someone scratches their fish during netting, that scratch can get infected even if water is perfect. Thats just one of many miscellaneous things we skip over...

mattgirl

Thank you! I always have questions lol I'm trying to find the easiest way to clean and manage my tanks right now. It's always such a hassle for me. I can never figure out how to vacuum without taking out more than 25% of the water. I watched people vacuum their tanks on youtube and the water doesn't flow out like mine does. I can't tell if they're pinching the hose so they don't lose too much water or what.
Welcome to Fishlore :)

It really isn't a problem removing more than 25% of the water when doing your water changes :D

I actually recommend changing out 50% each week. For the smaller tanks maybe you could use airline tubing instead of a normal gravel vac.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rparker
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
Laura306
Replies
Views