This "Fish" thing, Rocks!

stanhenson41

Reaction score
Hello, my fellow fish buddies! I, well, I should say"We", (daughter 12), (son 15) have just set up and have going a 75 gal. tank. It has been the most rewarding time spent together in quite awhile. We have had, quite a blast, and continue too. Didn't realize how expensive it could get either..lol. We are just learning, and would appreciate any advice that comes our way. The tank has been running for about 2 1/2 weeks. We have added several types of fish. I'm finding out that all fish don't llive in "harmony"...as some fish wind up being lunch for other fish! Had a pair of Oscar's..one became lunch for the bigger Pink Convict (have 2 of these)...(not sure if I am spelling, or pronouncing all of these guys right) Also, have some type of Cychlid with stripes....have a lemon cychlid... and have a Pahcoo...Some people have told me to feed them 2 times a day,,,others say 1 time, and still other's say, every other day? Even with all the confusion, it is still very fun.. We decided to build our own stand, it seems like it it turned out ok. Well, I hope to hear back from some of you guy's. Thank's ~Stan~

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to FishLore!  Your tank looks great, but I agree you are in for some very hard times ahead. 

The oscar will get very large, and really needs to be in that size tank all by itself.  Is it possible to get another tank? 

If the convicts are a mated pair, they will get very aggressive and ugly toward your other fish when spawning, which I believe can be every 2 weeks. 

Pacu's get huge and really should not be sold as aquarium fish.  You really need about a 700 gallon tank for your pacu.  Here's 2 of them in a 200 plus gallon tank and still growing:

48.jpg

The lemon cichlid sounds like it might be an african cichlid.  In some occasions it appears to be acceptable, but normally african cichlids are not recommended to be placed in a tank with South American cichlids or other fish not from the African region.  Your lemon fish might become extremely aggressive as time goes by. 

If your tank has been set up for only 2 and a half weeks, it's probably not cycled.  Click on the link in my signature called, "FishLore Articles for Beginners"  It will explain how your tank cycles with or without fish, and why this is important to your tank health.  We are so glad you are here, and hopefully we will be able to help you before bad things start to happen.  Hope you enjoy the site!    

Digital_Duck

Reaction score
> aren't there laws against false information about Pacu's.

I am so peeved - I just spent over $160.00 for a new filter to switch my tank from a breeding tank for guppies to a new home for 2 pacu's and 2 blood parrot fish.

cripes!

So now I guess I need to consider getting 2 very large tanks instead of one for the Oscars.

Muz

Reaction score
Stan... As with starting any hobby the best advice is to research what you are doing and research the fish you are buying, you can buy a fish that gets to the size of your tank in a few months but this is not recommended for a long and satisfying fishkeeping experience. Ask before you buy, and then verify the information. When I setup my 1st discus tank the amount of conflicting information I got from websites was daunting.

.. in many cases, well lets say in my case, this is part of the fun and enjoyment of the hobby to research.. I feel my skin crawl whan I hear of chaps saying that they have just started and they have Oscars, do a google search on oscars and see their diet and how big they get, you may have second thoughts, maybe you don't. There should be laws against giving poor information to the public when buying fish, it should be part of marine conservation blah blah but at the end of the day some pet shops just hire students who do not have much knowledge of fish, they just want to earn their wage and get home, the parrot in the corner has been irritating them for hours and the customers ask stupid questions.

Stan, you have made an interesting choice with your fish. The pacu is what we call a tank buster, I need not say any more, they get very big, they **** a whole lot and put strain on the filtration within the tank which as the fish grows will become insufficient. You have also chosen some aggressive species like convicts, they like their terrority and as they get older and possibly start to look for a place to breed.. lookout other tankmates. Oscars will just get too big for your tank with what you have chosen.

Very interestingly, you have chosen a pacu... I may get shot on the forum but you do not get more dull and boring, messy eaters as well.

Gunnie sumed it up.. you are in for some hard times ahead.

Keep us posted, I can't wait to see how this turns out !

Muz

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Muz said:
Very interestingly, you have chosen a pacu... I may get shot on the forum but you do not get more dull and boring, messy eaters as well.
Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

I respectfully disagree. That's bubba and junior in that tank, and they are very sweet babies! I used to bring them special treats of grapes, bananas and other assorted fruit, and they begged like oscars!

Clint

Valued Member
Reaction score
Muz said:
Stan... As with starting any hobby the best advice is to research what you are doing and research the fish you are buying, you can buy a fish that gets to the size of your tank in a few months but this is not recommended for a long and satisfying fishkeeping experience. Ask before you buy, and then verify the information. When I setup my 1st discus tank the amount of conflicting information I got from websites was daunting.

.. in many cases, well lets say in my case, this is part of the fun and enjoyment of the hobby to research.. I feel my skin crawl whan I hear of chaps saying that they have just started and they have Oscars, do a google search on oscars and see their diet and how big they get, you may have second thoughts, maybe you don't. There should be laws against giving poor information to the public when buying fish, it should be part of marine conservation blah blah but at the end of the day some pet shops just hire students who do not have much knowledge of fish, they just want to earn their wage and get home, the parrot in the corner has been irritating them for hours and the customers ask stupid questions.

Stan, you have made an interesting choice with your fish. The pacu is what we call a tank buster, I need not say any more, they get very big, they **** a whole lot and put strain on the filtration within the tank which as the fish grows will become insufficient. You have also chosen some aggressive species like convicts, they like their terrority and as they get older and possibly start to look for a place to breed.. lookout other tankmates. Oscars will just get too big for your tank with what you have chosen.

Gunnie sumed it up.. you are in for some hard times ahead.

Keep us posted, I can't wait to see how this turns out !

Muz
luv ur style of writing lol....thx 4ur time....clint

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
First, welcome to the forum Stan . You've gotten all great advice here. I am with all of the above. Your tank will be very overstocked when the fish you have attain their adult size. This is why it is always very important to research the fish you want to buy BEFORE you actually buy it. That's not all. You also need to find out whether various types of fish you want to have are compatible with each other. Not all fish can live together! And of course, you do not want your tank overstocked as overstocking will not only make the life of your fish miserable - it will make your life misertable too! You'll have TONS of water changes to perform in a large and overstocked tank (because if you don't, the water quality will get so poor your fish will start getting sick and dying). Lastly, do you know about the Nitrogen Cycle?

Clint

Valued Member
Reaction score
Isabella said:
First, welcome to the forum Stan . You've gotten all great advice here. I am with all of the above. Your tank will be very overstocked when the fish you have attain their adult size. This is why it is always very important to research the fish you want to buy BEFORE you actually buy it. That's not all. You also need to find out whether various types of fish you want to have are compatible with each other. Not all fish can live together! And of course, you do not want your tank overstocked as overstocking will not only make the life of your fish miserable - it will make your life misertable too! You'll have TONS of water changes to perform in a large and overstocked tank (because if you don't, the water quality will get so poor your fish will start getting sick and dying). Lastly, do you know about the Nitrogen Cycle?
I just learned this the lotz and lotz of water changes i bought a new tank 125glns becuz of ....ih ate sayin this altho it is true ....my lack of exp i lost all my fish not cuz the new tank the old tank i new i was movin and neglected the water changes had the new tank just got sloppy and my little ones paid the ultimate price i put pictures of my old tank around my new 1 dont play russian roulette with such beautiful creatures like i hope u never have to go threw what i did know the only reason they all died was my neglect people here are a wealth of info open ears will save communiies....thx4 ur time ....Clint

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom