This Fish Combination Okay?

1. A

Ayoku Initiate Member

We currently have 6 medium-sized tiger barbs and 2 snails (nerite and mystery) but we were looking to add in time, 1 blue gourami, 1 peacock eel, and 1 pictus catfish as semi-aggressive tank mates? Would this combination be okay to keep inside a 29g aquarium? None of these exceeded the 29g recommended aquarium size and we spoke to someone at the pet store about it yesterday and they said the combination should be fine without any issues especially since many of the fish eat similar foods (flakes, brine shrimp, and bloodworms), but I want to post her and get more opinions. We have plans in the next month or so to upgrade our tank eventually to a 75 or maybe 100g because we would also like to add 1 or 2 plecostamus fish to the mix as well.

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

The pictus grows too large and needs a school of its own.

As for the gourami, seeing as tiger barbs are pretty nippy I can see the poor thing getting its fins nipped. I'm not 100% sure this would work, but I think a firemouth would be more suitable in terms of aggression. They are more active while gourami like to be rather sedate and a sedate fish is an easy target for fin nippers.

I'm not expert on eels but I think a larger aquarium is needed for the peacock eel. They grow to around 6in and I can't really see a 6in bottom feeding fish doing too hot in a 29gal. But then again, I don't know much about peacock eels.

3. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Pet store advice. Lol. The gourami would be ok in a 29 the other 2 not so much. Pictus should be kept in atleast a small group of 3 so they won't work in a 29. The eel simply gets too big. If you are upgrading and plan on a common Pleco I would shoot for 100 gallons instead of a 75. Once you upgrade tanks then you could consider the other fish.

Sorry if that sounded mean but remember they are trying to sell you something we are not.

4. SplendidBettas

SplendidBettas Member Member

I would unfortunately have to agree that gouramis are far too slow moving and long finned for tiger barbs. And yes, it is preferable to house multiple pictus catfish together

5. BluMan1914

BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

As far as Catfish go, I suggest Syndontis petricola lucipinnis.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted