This Explains Everything!

Alexolotl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I just tested my tap water out of curiosity and I have a whopping 1-2 PPM of ammonia in my tap water! If the chlorine in the water doesn’t mess up the test, then there’s something seriously wrong. I’m amazed my fish have even survived this long! (If you didn’t know my betta has really bad finrot that won’t improve)
7CA3458B-0607-46E4-B1ED-7CB88B650643.jpeg

Oddly enough my tank water is mostly fine (if slightly higher than is preferable, at 0.5 PPM at most)

If it isn’t the chlorine or my test kit, what do I do to solve this problem?

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Use a product that locks out ammonia on the regular in your filter. You may also want to double up on the amount of conditioner. Or invest in an alternate water source. (Or chemical, whole house, filtration.)

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its very possible to have that reading out of the tap. Keep in mind though a 25% water change would only add 25% of the reading from your tap to the tank. Another thought is if you have chlorimine in your water its chlorine and ammonia so that could also be a possibility. So most would recommend smaller more frequent water changes of something like 10% twice a week vs 25% once a week. Or something like that.

Alexolotl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok, so it may have just been that I hadn’t shaken the bottles, so I will test later once I finish doing some other things.

For now it shouldn’t be too hard to double-dose Prime until I can come to a more permanent solution.

Alexolotl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok, so I did more tests on the water and these are my results:

Dechlorinated: (1 drop of Prime for approx a quarter of a gallon)
E76B670B-5149-42D5-A103-9529470D3047.jpeg
I’d say this is approximately 0.25 ppm.

Non-dechlorinated:
02675029-1943-4668-A9CE-CE2FA51291B1.jpeg
As with last time, 1 PPM.

I’m guessing this enormous change is due to the removal of chloramines, and 0.25 PPM is mostly normal. It was closer to that reading in the past, so I guess the city started adding more chloramines to the water at some point.

So I think if I regularly overdose on Prime (which I do anyway) I should be ok until I can get a RO unit to put somewhere.
For now I shall see about doubling my filter media and adding some more plants. Speaking of, any plant recommendations for a 5 gallon low-tech tank? It’s got LEDs but I don’t think I’m ready to try more advanced plants at the moment.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom