third kribensis with mouth stuck open!

december_wind

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've looked through a bunch of the other threads for fish with mouth stuck open and nothing seems to fit my situation. This is the third kribensis to develop this condition, it's mouth has been stuck open for three days now breathing is somewhat increased though probably more due to stress than lack of oxygen.
He's living in a 40 gallon tall hexagon with various tetras 5 or so female swordtails, a large peaceful angel and a few other odds n ends. They eat flake and most of it's pretty tiny to the point where they ignore a lot of it (bottom of the jar stuff). I bought 3 of them before march break, 2 females and this male, both females have died from the same symptoms about a week after onset over the last month and a half.
Everyone else is healthy and eating well. Water tested out fine, my water is stupidly hard, Ph around 8-8.2. I hate throwing random medication at things but I really don't know what else to do. I added Jungle Labs "parasite clear" tonight as i had it on hand and it's supposed to do internal and external as well as prevent secondary infections. Really don't want to lose this guy too.x

raptorsvt79

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i've had that happend and eventually turned into a swim bladder infection...i lost a few kribs in my 12 gallong tank a while ago...to this condition..don't know why though..

december_wind

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Grrr. Any ideas on how to treat?

Love your signature by the way. I want a star wars tank ornament now!

raptorsvt79

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
no don't know how to treat...srry...i had kribs together and it would always happen to either the male or female...i'm sure someone will come along and give you some better info...

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have kribs, so I was very interested in this topic. I've never seen it. A little bit of googling gave me this.

First, can you see if there is anything stuck in her jaw? Assuming not, then there are two possiblities. It could be that her jaw is broken and therefore cannot be fixed. The other possibility is that it is dislocated. Fish jaws are a complex series of bones that sometimes get out of alignment. The solution is a bit tricky but it is worth a try. Basically, you have to VERY GENTLY open the jaw a little more and then hopefully the bones will fall back into alignment and it will shut.

-- Ron
rcoleman@cichlidresearch.com
Cichlid Research Home Page <http://cichlidresearch.com>

Apparently, the person who asked the question had a krib who had fought with another fish.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello December_Wind and Welcome to Fish Lore!

Sorry to hear your fish aren't feeling up to par. The information LyndaB provided is the best that I've seen for fish with this condition.

Best wishes and keep us posted please.

Ken

december_wind

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
x I'll give that a try after work today. Maybe it's some sort of weird deformity that causing it. Nothing's in their throats cause I can see right down them.

angelfish220

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I had a few zebra danios over the years that had that problem. I could never figure out what it was and they always ended up dieing.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads