Thinning out

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
My 20 gallon tank has been (again) invaded by fry. They are cute, and I don't want any harm to come to them, but I consider them a threat to Dante (Betta). If he eats them, and becomes constipated again, I could lose him. So, I have come to a decision. I am going to thin out my aquarium. I am calling my LFS tomorrow to see if they will take my live-bearers. I'm sure they will. This will leave Dante, 2 Otos and a Dojo Loach in my 20 gallon tank. Personally, I am looking forward to it. I haven't formed any attachment to any of the fish except for Dante and Lurch. Dante is my baby, and Lurch is my clown. Together they make me smile, and they get along great.
I now have 7 fry in the "playpen net" ........ I'm hoping the LFS can take them as well.

S.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
After the problem you had with Dante not long ago, I would say that this is a very good decision. Bettas just have the desire to eat fry if they are catchable and they usually are at such a young age. You have such a deep affection for him and now that he has shown the ability to become quite constipated he would probably do it again with very little provocation.

You are such a good Betta Mom. I know Dante is in the best of hands and I congratulate you for it. My very best wishes go out to you both. Have a good day!

Rose

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank you, chickadee. I was a little afraid of being looked down on for giving up most of my fish. But deep down, I guess I reall don't care what others think. I love Dante like no other fish. I know that his well-being is totally in my hands, and I want to give him the longest, healthiest and happiest life possible.

I found more fry in the tank this morning. I now have 16 swordtail fry in the playpen, and the 9 swordtail fry plus two guppy fry in the nursery tank. Even if the LFS won't give me anything for them, I'm sure they will take them all. I have to call again tomorrow, as the fish manager was off today.

S.

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Just an update:
Dante is now safe from constipation frm fry! The LFS took all the adult live-bearers and all the fry except Boris. I just couldn't bear to part with him due to my attachment to his dad. Sappy, I know.
Dante seems happy, if a little lost in the big, almost empty tank.
The manager at the LFS said he couldn't really give me in-store credit, due to store policy, but he did give me a new Betta! ;D He is mostly dark blue with a little red, and is temporarily being called "Little Boy." He doesn't have the glorious finnage of Dante or Floyd, and is not awefully confident yet, but I'm sure that with love and attention (along with more room to swim than he had in that terrible little bowl), he will be his own amazing self.

I'm becoming a serious Betta addict!!!

S.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
WHAT A DEAL!!!!! I would say it worked out okay, how 'bout you? I think he sounds marvelous. Dante and Floyd have a new little brother! I do love it! I do hope that Boris won't be too lonely and I do understand the need to hang on to him. There is nothing wrong with that, just make sure he is safe from your Dante .

We anxiously await pictures and a name of the little one and maybe some pix of the older brothers as well. ;D Congrats!!

Rose

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Here are pics of Dante (first pic) and Floyd. I can't get pics of Little Boy yet, as he is still a little wary and I don't want to stress him. I did, however, catch him playing in the bubbles from the filter and flaring at his reflection a little, so that is a good thing.

(the guys never look as good in pictures.... )

S.

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
ok...... after sitting quietly for a while, I was able to capture somewhat passable pics of Little Boy.
They are grainy and kind of blurry...... forgive me.

S.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It had been a while since you posted Dante and Floyd''s pictures I think hadn't it? They are so beautiful and Little Boy is gorgeous. I think I can tell they are happy and Dante is quite dapper for an elder gentleman like him. Floyd is such an original color combination and I do love it. Of course, I can say that I have never met a Betta I did not LOVE.

You have every right to be proud of your little Betta family and I think they are lovely. Congratulations.

Rose

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
chickadee said:
It had been a while since you posted Dante and Floyd''s pictures I think hadn't it?  They are so beautiful and Little Boy is gorgeous.  I think I can tell they are happy and Dante is quite dapper for an elder gentleman like him.  Floyd is such an original color combination and I do love it.  Of course, I can say that I have never met a Betta I did not LOVE. 

You have every right to be proud of your little Betta family and I think they are lovely.  Congratulations.

Rose
Yes, it has been a while since I posted pics of Dante and Floyd. It's so hard to get pics that show them in their full beauty...... I don't think I've gotten one yet that really shows their colors.
I don't think Dante is awfully old yet, his back doesn't curve like I've seen in so many older Bettas, and he holds his fins pretty erect when he isn't dashing around. But with all the problems he's had, I'm glad he came through so well.
When I took my live-bearers to the LFS, I was shocked at the difference in size between them and the stores fish. They were all twice the size of the other fish, and had better color and finnage, too. I'm not really bragging..... but when I would look at Lucy and Ethel (female swordtails) in my tank, I saw normal, every day fish. At the LFS they looked like giants..... like comparing Koi to feeder goldfish. I felt pride as a fish owner, and a little bad for "surrendering" them. I can onlyhope they will only find good homes where they will be loved and cared for as they were here........
I found three more fry in the tank today ... i guess I will raise them and maybe keep any males. The females will have to go to the LFS, so Boris can't impregnate them and start the whole thing over again.

Anyway, sorry for droning on...........

S.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do not think you will have to worry about them being there long. It sounds obvious to me that the difference between them and the others will get them sold in no time at all. The store owners may also notice and be taking better care of those that they have to get them all up to the same level. I do congratulate you for being such a fine fish mommy. I do believe you are very vigilant and caring of your little charges.

Yes I do understand the need to remove any females as I am quite sure that Boris would know how to do what is natural and have you quite well supplied with little ones again. It will be good for the Bettas to have some tank mates as long as they are big enough to not be meals so if they have a nursery tank to grow a bit in that would be perfect.

I still think that your Bettas are beautiful and think that if you believe their pictures do not do them justice, then they must be stunning!

Rose

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
chickadee said:
  I do congratulate you for being such a fine fish mommy.  I do believe you are very vigilant and caring of your little charges. 

I still think that your Bettas are beautiful and think that if you believe their pictures do not do them justice, then they must be stunning! 

Rose
:-[ Thank you! ;D

S.

Manicivy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Good luck with your new boy! It must've been hard to make that decision, but it is what's best for all of the fish so congratulations on your smart decision and enjoy your fish!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom