thinning fins!??? Help

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Akari_32, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

one of my males, Calcifer, has alot of issues. im pretty sure they are due to being imbred, being from PetSmart. but lately, his tail has been thinning out and is now see-through, tho it still seems to be whole. he acts normal (for him anyway....), and still eats and is active, so i have no clue what it could be, as none of my other fish are not showing any symptoms and are all completely normal and active. i have no way of checking water conditions, but i do water changes ever other week. could it be something bad, or is he a good example of a super-imbred fish?

sorry, but right now, my computer is rejecting the picture adding part of this site, so i cant put any up till i can get to another computer...

2. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

inbred could very well be an issue but if his tail was normal before you got him, its probably not the case of inbreeding....having a test kit and knowing your tank parimeters at all times, is probably going to be your best bet...I would up the changes to small ones everyday with some stress coat + until you know for sure its not an uncycled tank....every other week isnt going to be enough when there is fin damage going on.....how many males do you have in the tank with him? and what other fish are there as well?

3. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

i used to do 30-ish% water changes every week, but my parents are against it , and dont believe in spoiling (except when we clean out our fridge and feed left overs to the dogs). every one of our pets get the best care i can give them with no job (wich isnt much, buy i try...). mom got on me about water changes every week and changing the filter every month, saying that it's "too much. they're just fish!" so yeah... that also leads to not being able to but things like tests kits (and high quality foods... -_-) and medications (all the meds i got were free because a local petstore was closing and my friends mom gave them to me). and the tank has been up for a while, long enough for it to stable. and i set it up in a way that i didnt have to let it "cycle". i put all the water from the tank they came in into the 20 gallon and after adding the new water, left the old filter running in the 20g with the new filter and put 1 fish in there over night. its like a 50% water change, only i added water instead of taking water out.

as for other fish, there are 3 other adult males, 8 four month fry, 4 2-3 week old fry and now only one oto, because Ninja decided that the algea on the filter intake looked tastey.... also Juice, my adult female, and 5 four month fry and 2 two month fry are in the breeders net, untill they get new homes in a week or two. its a bit crowded, but Beatle and Juice and the 5 older fry are getting new homes, so its only temperary...

also, Clacifer has had a pathetic tail since the day i got him. tho its only recently started this. it would darken at the end before it grew out, and it never grew out evenly, but more like a crowntail betta, but not as exagerated, just kinda zig-zaggy and

4. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

without a test kit, and more frequent water changes, its probably just a cycling issue.....its hard when you are a younger member that has to live by adult rules...but if they arent going to let you properly take care of them, maybe you need to return some to the pet store and wait until you can afford some things they need? hope all works out!

5. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

i'll be gitting a job this summer, but the 5 older fry will be going back to the store or to a friends tank, and Beatle and Juice will be going to a friends house also, and im still not sure what im going to do with Howl Jr and Calcifer, because im not sure if a want them to breed any more or not... i wunna start breeding lyretails and swords, tho im not sure if i want top, bottom or both...:-\ anyway! soon i'll have a job and i'll save up for one of those fancy electronic testers! mufufufufufu! what would be ideal conditions for my tank any way?

6. Beeker

BeekerWell Known MemberMember

Really, all you need is a liquid test kit from API. That is what most of us use here, and it is only around $30. This link here might help:

It is only $21.89 plus shipping. Well worth it. It is something you absolutely need from the moment you first add water to your tank. For ideal conditions for your tank, you should read our info on the Nitrogen Cycle and also refer to the information in the fish profiles for what fish you have. The profile will have the ideal tank size, ph, and temperature for your fish.

7. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

ruin my fun >.< lol jk i'll check it out, but if i cant buy it from a store, then chances are, i'll have to get something else

8. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

yay! i got the pix up! as u can see, his poor tail is see-thru now, but is still whole.... still not sure what its from, as the other fish are all just fine ???

p.s.~ the blueish male with the giant red/orange tail in the second pic is Howl Jr and the orange, yellow and blue one is Beatle, and there are also 2 of Holw Jr's fry in there too (i just relized that Erik wasnt their father when it hit me that one of the fry had the same red tail as Howl Jr did lol)!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  9. ReiNHerMollies

ReiNHerMolliesNew MemberMember

I love Howl's moving castle.... Awesome names for your Fishies!!!!!

10. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

thank u! Howl Senior and his girlfriends, Glitt and Aqua, were atacked by ich that was brot in with some panda corrys... i miss them so much T_T

u kno, i originally got guppies to feed my picky ADF's, Kari and Starr, the fry when HBH changed their sinking pellets, and i fell in love with them. this was also when i first intruduced to Howl's Moving Castle, and Howl Sr acted just like the real Howl lol it just seemed fitting >.<

11. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

its seems to be getting better.... still not sure what it is tho. dont forget to check out the pix above!

12. TheKaymanNew MemberMember

hmm.... i hope i can help you, but one of my male guppy is showing very similar sympton. My rough guess was that I wasn't feeding him well that the pigments in the fin had ran out? maybe... because I had to leave for vacation and the fish were only fed about once or twice a week for about a month. I hoped that my fish would get their own food from the plants and mosses that almost take up 50% of the tank space.

I'll share what happens with him as soon as he shows any signs.

13. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

thanks~

i feed my fish 3 times a day (except for my betta. only twice a day for him). they get TetraMin, BettaMin, frozen brine shrimp/veggies, Hikari sinking waffers and that papery brown algea sheet stuff (they arent sure about that stuff yet tho). so i dunno if its from lack of proper nutrition on my side, but u never kno lol

14. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

his tail is all better now! tho i never changed anything to fix it ??? it just magically fixed it self... wierd... :;bmu

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice