thinking

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by cbbrown56, Jul 18, 2015.

1. c

cbbrown56 New Member Member

my angels are fighting, i'm thinking of rehoming my angels and tiger barbs and getting a betta for a ten gallon tank. The angels and tiger barbs aren't in a ten gallon tank but my partner is complaining of room in the apartment so i'm thinking it's time to downgrade. Any tips on selecting a healthy betta fish?

2. Tiny goatfish

Tiny goatfish Well Known Member Member

I usually make sure there is no obvious sickness, ich, bulging eyes, fin rot, or laying on their side. They should be able to keep them selves up easily. They probably won't be active sense they are usually in little cups and almost all of them are enduring high ammonia. That's all I can think of right now, maybe ask the employees of the store is the betta is eating or when they got them. Good luck finding a healthy one! And be sure to post pictures!

3. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

Thinking is dangerous and I do not recommend it unless you are equipped with a hard hat and in a well padded room..

All joking aside, Bettas are hard to judge for character since we normally only see them in a small cup at the fish store. I think most people pick them for their color and the sex. Other than any obvious problems with the fish that you can see, I dont know how else you would select one.

How many Angels do you have and what size tank are they in? How many Tiger Barbs do you have? This problem could potentially be solved fairly easily, dont give up yet!

4. AndyVE

AndyVE Valued Member Member

My LFS store never keeps a Betta in a small bowl?
    It is also something like a petco (we do not have those here).
    Usually (if not always) they are in a community tank (one betta per tank) with 1-2 other species.
    Seem to be very lucky with my LFS (5 min. by car from my door)

Bloated parts is a bad sign, fin rot (with a crowntail not so easy to tell if you are a newbie).
    Most of them are pretty hardy and will be so happy to upgrade to a 10 gallon from where they are now!

When i first got mine he was in a 2.3, but in january he got an upgrade to a 5.5

5. thinkpink94

thinkpink94 Valued Member Member

I've always heard that when picking out a betta, you should check and see if he flares at you if you put your finger up to the tank/cup. If a betta just sits there, he's probably not doing so hot. Aside from any obvious signs of illness, this is something else I would be looking for :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

Very thorough!

7. AndyVE

AndyVE Valued Member Member

Mine does not flare that easily at my finger.
    Does it when it is unexpected but for sure not every time i do that.
    If i put a small mirror againt the tank he wil flare...but only do that once and a while (not even every week).

8. thinkpink94

thinkpink94 Valued Member Member

I'm only repeating what I've read. Certainly just because your fish doesn't flare doesn't mean he isn't healthy, but if a betta fish is in one of those dinky cups at the store and he's still able to flare at you and swim around the cup, you know he's a fighter and probably a pretty hardy fish, that's all I'm saying. Maybe your betta is happy and feels safe cause he has a nice home so he doesn't need to flare :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice