Thinking through a quarantine tank

• Thread starter Chris1212
  • Start date

Chris1212

I want to be prepared with a quarantine tank and not wait until I'm ready to get some new fish. We have a 20g tank with 2 Platy and 3 Swordtail right now. Eventually, I'd like to add either a few GloFish (Danio or Tetra) or a few bottomfeeder species. So I don't need a big quarantine tank for either of those. I have an old, small Betta tank (maybe a couple gallons). Would that be big enough for a fairly simple quarantine tank? Otherwise, I will probably go the plastic container route.

PaprikaFish

Most bottom feeder species, such as Corydoras, will be happier quarantining in a container with a sandy bottom (so they don't hurt their barbels) as they need lots of space to explore. Same goes for danios and tetras, most need 10-20 gallons to be happy and healthy.
I don't think that a couple of gallons would really give them enough room to zoom around, and could cause unnecessary stress if the new fish are cramped on top of being sick :)

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Agreed would go the plastic container route. I feel a small tank of a couple gallons would have more water quality issues and bad conditions are the worst for new stressed fish. Just treat the container like a tank, add a layer of PFS (sand), your filter and heater if needed.

AnabatoidLover410

I would use the plastic container, as I'm assuming you're quarantining for 6-8 weeks, so a 15-20 gallon container would be fine, the smaller one would have more ammonia spikes as well as stressing your fish out from the small thank size. Hope I helped!

Top Bottom