Thinking reputation making others look bad.

matt6765

Hi, I sort of think that the reputation thing (green bar) makes a lot of credible fish keepers look bad because they only have one square because no one gives them good feedback. However many good fishkeepers have a lot of good feed back so I guess you have to earn it.

Lucy

Valid points.
If it's any consolation, many of us don't go by rep squares or post count.

matt6765

Lucy said:
Valid points.
If it's any consolation, many of us don't go by rep squares or post count.
Nor do I. I go more on what people post.

Treefork

Well heck I never knew you could even do that until just now. lol

Borisbbadd

I've never paid it much attention.......:

Red1313

I don't think it makes anyone look bad

I like giving reputation points out to people. It's hard to pat someone on the back over the internet

Do I judge people's advice based on it? No, good advice is good advice, regardless from who it came from.

bolivianbaby

Red1313 said:
I don't think it makes anyone look bad

I like giving reputation points out to people. It's hard to pat someone on the back over the internet

Do I judge people's advice based on it? No, good advice is good advice, regardless from who it came from.
+1

Meenu

I give out a lot of rep points too. I agree that when someone takes the time out of their day to type out a thorough answer for someone who needs help, that person deserves a bit of a pat on the back.

ppate1977

I've noticed the stars and bars. I knew what the starts represented, but until I read this, had no idea you could give feedback. Ahhh lol. How do you do it? I only judge peoples advice on the validity of previous advice, or many posts that say about the same thing.

Butterfly

If you have over 50 posts you can click on the little white scale(looks more like a snowflake to me ) and you can even leave a comment. It's an easy to pat someone on the back without hijacking the thread.
Carol

ppate1977

Thanks. I should have been using that feature more often as a vitual "thank you".

Tigerfishy

I use it if I see a good post, I agree that it's good if someone spends the time to give great advice, and it is like a pat on the back.

(I do go mainly by the quality of the post however, but I like to let people know they've done well or helped me out!)

Jaysee

I agree, good advice is good advice.

its good youve brought this up as its informed people about how the rep thing works.

jetajockey

I had no idea that there was even a rep system until this thread lol

matt6765

Haha lol I did not think I would get so many replies

Nutter

I like the rep system. I think it's good to be able to acknowledge good advice when it's given & like previously said, good advice is good advice, regardless of how many posts or how much reputation someone has earned.

peacemaker92

matt6765 said:
Haha lol I did not think I would get so many replies
Well.. Your thread does help others to know more about the reputation system. Good for bringing it up!

ryanr

Must admit, I don't really pay too much attention to the rep system (but I think it's cool when I find someone has taken time to add to my rep!)
I assume people are fairly honest, and I look at their experience, and also the level of 'sensibility' of their advice.
The reputation system relies on the community to acknowledge each other. There's a lot of '+1' bumps/posts suggesting someone has given good advice, but doesn't get acknowledged in the rep system.

Also, if you take the time to search through a few threads, you'll start to see which members give good advice, and which ones don't, as well as being able to pick up on the regulars that have a genuine passion for "our" fish, and take the time out of our own duties/day to offer help, often at very silly hours of the day.

Post count doesn't mean much, you could be very experienced and have great knowledge, but just joined yesterday.

As has been suggested, good advice is good advice. And generally here at fl, if we don't agree with advice, we will politely disagree with a previous post. Fishlore is not about egos, but about the fish, so if I'm wrong, I don't mind, as long as it's best for the fish.

ColumbianShark3

I don't have much reputation but I don't mind at all

Meenu

I think the real prob is how much reputation the mods have. I mean, how do we compete with THAT?

Nutter

Meenu said:
I think the real prob is how much reputation the mods have. I mean, how do we compete with THAT?
Wouldn't worry too much about that Meenu. Your a very frequent poster & good with the advice that you give so I don't think it will take you long to have a rep like the mods do.

I thought I posted a lot until I looked & saw we joined at almost the same time & you have nearly double the post I do. I think your addicted.

Meenu

Nutter said:
I think your addicted.
Yeah, completely and totally hooked. My obsession with FL surpasses my obsession with fishkeeping. I. Need. Help.

And thanks for the compliment. I've learned from master fishkeepers here, and am just online enough to parrot advice I've seen people like you give.

Tigerfishy

Yes Meenu has a typing addiction. At least she can inform us and entertain us though, we let her off for this reason lol!! She can find a phrase for any type of situation, serious or slightly more silly (try getting her on a Sat night, the forum seems to explode with hilarity then, with meenu right at the centre...)

She is quite a legend around these parts though

btate617

A good rep doesn't always mean good advise. Just because someone has a high point count doesn't mean the are giving the right advise in a certain situation. I have never really thought about the rep system here until now. But if you take the first thing said by someone with high rep points and you ignore what everyone else said because their rep is lower you may be going off in the wrong direction. ( you wouldn't take the advise from one site after a google search, I hope, so I wouldn't suggest doing it just because someone has lots of points).

Like I said I really never noticed it until now, when I clicked on one of my posts it says I have 69rep points. Does that mean I don't know what I am talking about when giving advise, I don't know maybe in some peoples eyes it does. I don't know everything but I try to stick with what I know and also I think with everyone personal experience in a post plays a big part. I don't post in the Betta section because well I have no experience with them. I have done a great deal of reading on them but never owned them so I try to stay away as far as giving advise. I would suggest when giving out advise to make sure you at least have an idea on the subject, because post count also doesn't mean a great deal as far as knowledge. Just my 2cents.

Brian

sirdarksol

The purpose of the rep system is not to tell people who to ignore, but to give new members, who may still be learning enough to tell good vs bad advice, an idea of who is recognized as giving trustworthy advice. That's why we've tried really hard to avoid abuses of the system, like "reputation trades," people giving rep to friends just for being friends, or people giving negative rep just for disagreeing. I'm sure there are still a few abuses of the system, but for the most part, our forum members are really good about it.

This helps level the playing field for new members who would otherwise look at three people giving three very different bits of advice and have no idea of who to listen to.

In addition, it is kind of the feel-good thing, where people like to be rewarded for doing a good job. Since most of the forum's funding goes toward the mods' lake homes, the only way we can reward others is with the rep system. ;D

I'm now off to find and bump a reminder about the rep system.

Lucy

btate617 said:
A good rep doesn't always mean good advise. Brian
Excellent point.
Someone once gave me a good rep point because I said their fish was pretty. On the other hand, someone gave me a neg rep because I warned them about jacking their post count.

Now that I've brought up the subject of negative rep points, please use them wisely, if at all.
Sirdarksol said it best in another thread, so I will quote him:
sirdarksol said:
I want to reiterate that giving positive or negative rep should not just be because you agree or disagree with someone. Positive rep should be for a polite and well-written post, even if it's in opposition of your beliefs. In all of the forums I'm on, I most definitely give people +rep when they make a well-written argument against something I've said.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, please think really hard before giving negative rep. There's no need for it most of the time. This should be reserved, in my opinion, for the most rude posts (blatant name-calling, for example). It definitely shouldn't be given just because you disagree with someone. For example, I would be abusing the system if I gave it to everyone who suggested using aquarium salt to treat fungus, even though I disagree with practice.
sirdarksol.

sirdarksol

Thanks for bringing that one up. I've made a few such reminders, and can't always find all of them.

Butterfly

If you want to check your rep counts and to see what you got rep for(some people leave comments) click on settings at the top and then on settings again on the drop down box. When you scroll down you can see your rep list.
Since nobody can actually see how much rep anybody else has( the green boxes aren't one for one) it's kind of for the individual person to see when somebody gives them rep and what for.
Carol

Aquarist

Carol is correct. HI Carol!

For every 25 rep points you get a little green box. Only members with over 50 posts can issue rep points.

Ken

Butterfly

HI Ken. Thanks I didn't remember how much each box was worth
Carol

mathas

Butterfly said:
Since nobody can actually see how much rep anybody else has
That's not quite true

I can't tell what you've received reputation for, but once you're above a certain threshold (currently 27 points) I could tell you exactly how many reputation points you have.

Meenu

sirdarksol said:
most of the forum's funding goes toward the mods' lake homes

Lucy

mathas said:
That's not quite true

I can't tell what you've received reputation for, but once you're above a certain threshold (currently 27 points) I could tell you exactly how many reputation points you have.
::Standing with hands on hips, shaking head::

Why am I not surprised?

Aquarist

Look at Meenu in post #33 laughing.
I told you folks I live in a house on a creek bank
(actually "in a van down by the river." Chris Farley.)

Ken

bolivianbaby

mathas said:
That's not quite true

Please promise us you'll only use your powers for good:;a

mathas

bolivianbaby said:
Please promise us you'll only use your powers for good:;a
That would take all the fun out of it, though.

bolivianbaby

Aquarist

Cute BB...

I hope everyone uses the powers they have for the good. Otherwise those little green boxes can disappear. Doh! I said that out loud didn't I?

Ken

Butterfly

mathas said:
That's not quite true

Since all the Mods have 11 green boxes and I know some have more rep points than that I assume when you get to 11 there are no more green boxes added but rep points continue to add up soooo nope can't really tell how many points anyone has
carol

Lucy

aquarist48 said:
Cute BB...

I hope everyone uses the powers they have for the good. Otherwise those little green boxes can disappear. Doh! I said that out loud didn't I?

Ken
Can they take my post count with them?

Meenu

aquarist48 said:
Look at Meenu in post #33 laughing.
I told you folks I live in a house on a creek bank
(actually "in a van down by the river." Chris Farley.)

Ken
Dear Ken,
A creek bank is not the same as a lake. I believe that you should contact Mike, as it seems he is holding out on you. The other moderators seem to be living in fancy lake houses, and you have a van. Down by the river.
Love,
Me

Dear Matt6765,
Look at me in post #33 laughing. This is proof positive that post count has nothing to do with credible advice-giving.
Love,
Me

Lucy said:
Can they take my post count with them?
Take mine, too, please. It's downright embarrassing.

Tigerfishy

Lol, Ken is threatening us again, HIDE!!!

Lucy, aw, maybe once you get to 25000 it will start to go backwards??

Lucy

Tigerfishy said:
Lol, Ken is threatening us again, HIDE!!!

Lucy, aw, maybe once you get to 25000 it will start to go backwards??
I can only hope.
(this one doesn't count, does it? It shouldn't. lol)

mathas

Butterfly said:
Since all the Mods have 11 green boxes and I know some have more rep points than that I assume when you get to 11 there are no more green boxes added but rep points continue to add up soooo nope can't really tell how many points anyone has
Green boxes do stop at 250 reputation points, but that isn't enough to keep people from knowing specific numbers. You, for example, have exactly 40 rep points more than I do as of this post.

Meenu

mathas said:
Green boxes do stop at 250 reputation points, but that isn't enough to keep people from knowing specific numbers. You, for example, have exactly 40 rep points more than I do as of this post.
What evil is this? You know how many points someone has?

Butterfly

mathas said:
How did you do that!

matt6765

How can you tell that?

navyscuba

This is gonna sound funny but one day I went to bed with like 2 green bars and the next day I had 5 or 6 don't remember tho. I was like where that came from. hahaha. I usually go by what the members are posting. Many times I can read many post but if I don't have experience with the subject I prefer not to comment on it and stay on the sidelines haha incognito.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom