Thinking reputation making others look bad.

matt6765

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi, I sort of think that the reputation thing (green bar) makes a lot of credible fish keepers look bad because they only have one square because no one gives them good feedback. However many good fishkeepers have a lot of good feed back so I guess you have to earn it.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Valid points.
If it's any consolation, many of us don't go by rep squares or post count.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't think it makes anyone look bad

I like giving reputation points out to people. It's hard to pat someone on the back over the internet

Do I judge people's advice based on it? No, good advice is good advice, regardless from who it came from.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't think it makes anyone look bad

I like giving reputation points out to people. It's hard to pat someone on the back over the internet

Do I judge people's advice based on it? No, good advice is good advice, regardless from who it came from.
+1

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I give out a lot of rep points too. I agree that when someone takes the time out of their day to type out a thorough answer for someone who needs help, that person deserves a bit of a pat on the back.

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've noticed the stars and bars. I knew what the starts represented, but until I read this, had no idea you could give feedback. Ahhh lol. How do you do it? I only judge peoples advice on the validity of previous advice, or many posts that say about the same thing.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you have over 50 posts you can click on the little white scale(looks more like a snowflake to me ) and you can even leave a comment. It's an easy to pat someone on the back without hijacking the thread.
Carol

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I use it if I see a good post, I agree that it's good if someone spends the time to give great advice, and it is like a pat on the back.

(I do go mainly by the quality of the post however, but I like to let people know they've done well or helped me out!)

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree, good advice is good advice.

its good youve brought this up as its informed people about how the rep thing works.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like the rep system. I think it's good to be able to acknowledge good advice when it's given & like previously said, good advice is good advice, regardless of how many posts or how much reputation someone has earned.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Must admit, I don't really pay too much attention to the rep system (but i think it's cool when I find someone has taken time to add to my rep!)
I assume people are fairly honest, and I look at their experience, and also the level of 'sensibility' of their advice.
The reputation system relies on the community to acknowledge each other. There's a lot of '+1' bumps/posts suggesting someone has given good advice, but doesn't get acknowledged in the rep system.

Also, if you take the time to search through a few threads, you'll start to see which members give good advice, and which ones don't, as well as being able to pick up on the regulars that have a genuine passion for "our" fish, and take the time out of our own duties/day to offer help, often at very silly hours of the day.

Post count doesn't mean much, you could be very experienced and have great knowledge, but just joined yesterday.

As has been suggested, good advice is good advice. And generally here at fl, if we don't agree with advice, we will politely disagree with a previous post. Fishlore is not about egos, but about the fish, so if I'm wrong, I don't mind, as long as it's best for the fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom