Thinking On A 10 Gallon Glofish Tank For The Wife Question

1. fransj Member Member

Hi folks, ok, here's my dilemma, the wife wants a new tank, so far we have a baby boy betta in a 3.7 gallon tank, heated, filtered and planted. Now she wants a glofish tank, I saw a good deal on a 10 gallon tank with filter and heater for $70.00. How many barbs can I put in that one without overcrowding, and I also want to plant that tank as well, (helps with water parameters). Any ideas?

2. qchris87 Well Known Member Member

Wouldn't put barbs in a 10 gallon. Tank is too small for them. I would recommend getting at least a twenty long.

3. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

Agree. They're active fish.

4. fransj Member Member

.maybe I can convince her on some danios, or tetras

5. qchris87 Well Known Member Member

If you're talking about the glofish species, they also aren't suitable for 10 gallons. They are quite active.

Stocking List for 10 Gallons
    This is a very good list for 10 gallon tank. None of them are glofish unfortunately but there are great species on that list. My personal favorite are Celestial Pearl Danios

6. IcedColdMine Well Known Member Member

If you wanted to save a buck, my area has ALOT of free fish 40-20g tanks with oscars LOL...........

You could try craigslist surfing too :)

7. IcedColdMine Well Known Member Member

Where would you buy those though...

8. fransj Member Member

Where's you area? I'm in San Francisco, and there's a lot of price gouging around here

9. qchris87 Well Known Member Member

Celestial Pearl Danios? Many online stores sell them. I've seen them a many LFS.

10. IcedColdMine Well Known Member Member

What is a reasonable price per?

11. IcedColdMine Well Known Member Member

Denver area. I know I got 3 free fish tanks this past 2 weeks so........ worth a try lol.

12. qchris87 Well Known Member Member

Lowest I've seen them was 3.99. Typically 5-6 each in my area.

13. david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Thought about it. Needs to be 20 gallons.