Thinking of using my 120G for a plants angel tank

1. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

Thinking of using my 120G for a planted angel tank

I have a 120G tank empty in my garage that will be moved into the house after the fisrt of the year. I have been thinking about making it a planted angel tank. I am going to go "low tech" on the plants. Probably swords, java fern, etc. I have been reading a little on here about angels but haven't found a lot about general care info. I understand PH acclimation is an issue. Is there anything else in general that I should know about them. I have kept fish for years so I know about cycling etc. Just curious if they are considered ultra high maintanence or not? I know I will be doing water changes but i don't want to get into something were I have to change water every couple days. Is this doable or should I think about somethig else? I also have a very large piece of driftwood I can't wait to put to use.

2. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Angels are easily do able :)
    They are not super high maintanence and your standard 20-25% weekly water changes will be fine for angels :)

3. Neji Member Member

Angel fishes are easy to take care of :) they usually need a pH of 7.4 and they like warm waters :) I keep my angels in my tanks at the temperature of about 82ºF :)

They LOVE plants. Like all cichlids, angels like to eat plants but with the right lighting, and a little bit of fertilization; the plants will flourish and grow back any wholes that angels or other fishes have been eating through. You can always get some java ferns :) and Anacharis plants too :) they are soft and they don't require too much light so they will always be able to grow back and your angels can always eat them (which is good)

4. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I agree. I have four in a 55g that I received from a friend and they've been doing fanastic! Normal water changes, normal feeding, normal lighting and in return, we've received some very happy angels.:)

5. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

For filtration I already have to brand new AC 110's. I have read angels don't really like a lot of current. I figure if I put one AC at the far end of each tank I should have most of the middle pretty calm. I have an AC 110 in a 75G and it makes a lot of current right at the outlet but it doesn't seem to cause much problems anywhere else.

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

sounds like a fabooooooo kinda tank!!! your plans sound perfect for them...and I agree they are easy and dont require many extras at all.they can adapt to a wide range of ph's and you are correct, that acclimating is the toughest part with them good luck!

7. f1ea Member Member

From my experience Angelfish are easy to keep, except they are very succeptible to sudden cnahges in water chemistry. Since you're doing a Low tech set up, make sure you allow time for your aquarium parameters to 'settle down' before adding angels... they can get used to many pH and hardness values, but if they change quickly the angels get very stressed and die easily.

They are great with plants and driftwood. Their only issue is aggression and territoriality... so pay attention to that in case some get overly aggressive or if one of them is getting abused. They'll eat small fish!

As far as maintenance goes, they are not too picky... just make sure they are eating well, because they eat a lot (specially if the temps are high). Mix their diet a bit, quality flakes/pellets and live foods...

Good luck!

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Angelfish.htm
    Hello FlyinLowe. The above link may help you some. Too, if you'll go to the right hand side, top of this screen you can to a search for "Angel Fish" and find a lot of information there as well. Your plans sound great!
    Keep us posted.
    Happy Holidays!:cold:
    Ken

9. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

How many angels could I put in this tank? I thought about just angels in the tank. Will this be a problem or should I just put in a few and then get some other fish to go with them. I thought about just angels and a decent school of corries. Any thoughts on the max number in a 120G?

10. platy ben Well Known Member Member

I would say you could have maybe 10-12 angels and 8-10 corys :)

11. agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

great advice from everyone, good luck with your tank! :)

12. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

Would a couple bloody parrots do okay with a school of angels? I don't know anything about them.

13. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I don't know anything about Bloody Parrots but your stocking idea sounds just fantastic! I LOVE Angels. I've found them to be sensitive to water quality and prone to getting finrot due to their long fins. Water changes must be kept up.