Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Thinking Of Upgrading Filters Help

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Kristin Gray, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Kristin GrayValued MemberMember

Hello again! Now that my tank has been established for some time, I am looking at upgrading my filter. I currently have two HOB filters in my 55 gallon, but they’ve began stopping up frequently and overflowing, putting water onto the floor. I know literally nothing about other types of filters, but my pet store suggested a canister type, and said that she uses them in her personal tanks- for those of you who use canister vs. under gravel, what are the pros/cons of each and which do you prefer?

2. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

How is your 55g stocked?

Seachem Tidal 110 for $63 on sale will work for your 55g from here ( ). Normally they are over $80. Comes with 3 year warranty.

Or run 2 large sponge filters placed in the back corners, such as one ATI Hydro Sponge V (fine foam), combined with a Hydro Sponge Pro V (coarse foam), both driven off a good air pump. They can be found here ( ).

3. Kristin GrayValued MemberMember

I have 5 Angelfish, 2 baby dwarf blue Gourami’s, 5 3” bristlenise pleco’s, 8 Rummynose Tetra’s, 4 Cardinal Tetra’s, 11 Platy’s, and 2 Zebra Loaches. It’s a pretty full tank, and is also pretty heavily planted.

My LFS suggested a Fluval 306, and said that she used them in all her tanks at home.

4. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

The Fluval 306 is a little under powered for a 55 gallon at only 303 gph. You would want about 440 to 550 gph for your tank. As mentioned above by @Islandvic the Tidal 110 is 450 gph. Also you could try the 4 star canisters on Amazon like the Polar Aurora here, so much money saved over the Fluval. The 4 stage 525 gph would be a good fit.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  5. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

I run a Fluval 406 canister and an Aqueon 55 that came with the tank as a package deal and it works out well. although lately my Aqueon has givin me problems restarting so i ordered an AQ 70 to take its place

6. oldsalt777Well Known MemberMember

Hello Kris...

The filter that hangs on the back of the tank needs to be cleaned weekly. I do it when I change the tank water. By removing and replacing half the tank water weekly, you remove most of the dissolved waste material that tends to plug this type of filter. Change more water weekly and your filters will work better. Canisters are pricey and won't work any better than the lower priced filters, because none of them can remove the old water and replace it with new. The water change is the true filter. I'm guessing the pet store person is recommending something pricey because they're trained to do this.

Old

7. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

from what i've read, people who use canisters only clean them out once every 3-4 months. compared to hob filters which are usually maintenanced during weekly water changes. i know the polyfill in mine get a lot of gunk in it every week. the gunk in the canisters build and build and build, you can see how terribly dirty they get from youtube videos b/c of the lack of mainenance.

this the outer sponge filter from my U3 after 1 week. outside patio pond.
    [​IMG]

these are the polyfill from my 3 20i internal filters
    [​IMG]

8. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

all the muck, and gunk that's been sitting in the canister for months....all that stuff breaks down into even more ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates

i guess that's why they're called "nitrate factories"

wow a year....

9. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

If you're considering a Fluval canister, start monitoring prices online. They should be going on sale everywhere soon.

Fluval just released in the U.K. their new '07 series canisters to replace the current '06 line up.

They should become available here in April.

When they hit the domestic market, the prices on the '06 models should have significant price reductions to clear inventories of old stock.