Thinking of starting a shrimp tank

1. slashgash Member Member

Hello. Ive been thinking about starting a shrimp tank, but I have absolutely no knowledge of shrimp care. What kind of shrimp to get. etc.

So my question is, Ill probably be getting a 5 or 10 gallon tank, what types of shrimp and how many would you suggest for those sizes of tank.

And also, if you could fill me in on some basic care that'd be appreciated as well.

2. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I have kept a few species of shrimp myself. For your first shrimp tank, I highly recommend red cherry shrimp or tiger shrimp. They are both a very hardy species and can be kept together without cross-breeding. When shrimp cross-breed, the offspring are very drab and don't have the beautiful coloration of the parents.

I was told 10 shrimp to the gallon. If I am wrong, hopefully another member will correct me. Something to consider is that most shrimp breed...a lot. You can start off with 10 and have 50 within a month or two. However, there is a very high demand for both cherry and tiger shrimp so you should have no trouble selling off extras.

My shrimp like zucchini, fish food, and algae wafers. You don't need to feed them much. They also don't add a lot of nitrates to a tank so water changes aren't as frequent (although they are still necessary) as some other species.

3. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I love my RCS! Shrimp are more fun than you'd expect :D

4. slashgash Member Member

Okay. I definately think Ill try Red Cherry shrimp. What about ghost shrimp? would they be okay to keep with RCS?

5. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Since they are not of the same genus, I would think they would be okay together, but you may want to verify that.

6. slashgash Member Member

A lot of things im reading say that ghost shrimp will kill and eat RCS. so maybe its not a good idea. lol

7. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Now THAT I was unaware of! I agree-not a good idea.

Thanks for sharing the info:)

8. slashgash Member Member

You're welcome, everything says that the ghost shrimp are bigger and more aggressive. And would most likely make a meal of the RCS.

9. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Ghost shrimp can get pretty mean. I don't like them! lol. I just feed them to my big Jack Dempsey.

10. slashgash Member Member

lol. I think they look pretty cool. But after reading how mean they can be I dont think ill be getting any unless they're in a species only tank.

11. backflipfronflip Well Known Member Member

I'm gonna jump in on the Ghost Shrimp part of this debate. I have had Ghost shrimp and Cherries together for nearly a year now and i have never noticed them munching on them.

Ghosties can get a bit on the feisty side when they want to but that is part of the fun of them. Although i have not noticed them eating the Cherries it does not mean that they haven't BUT, cherries breed like rabbits, way faster than they could get eaten! When the Cherries settle in they will produce quite a lot of little shrimp so a little snacking here and there won't do there population much harm, might even help keep the blood line stronger.

I currently have Cherries, Ghosts, Amano and Orange Bee's and everyone seems to get on lovely.

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

12. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

It is my understanding that there are both an aggressive and a passive species marketed as Ghost Shrimp. One is all clear and the other has red spots on the tail and a well formed claw, albeit tiny. I just can't remember which is which.

Anyway, the aggressive ghostie will kill smaller RCS as well as catching small fry for food.

13. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I've head that too.