Thinking of starting a saltwater tank - Page 3

jkkgron2
Fishproblem said:
It's definitely been done! I think that if you're committed to the additional efforts that smaller water volume will require, it's totally doable. I'd just be conservative. Are you in the states? The dollar per gallon sale is going right now, so it might make a 20 gallon more doable, or maybe you can get a 5 gallon (either on sale at petco, or used locally) and turn it into a sump if you have space below the tank.

I hope someone with experience can offer you more advice!
Yeah, I’m in the states. Didn’t realize the dollar per gallon sale was going on right now, thanks!

Rcslade124 said:
Yes it is doable. I would highly recommend a n ato to keep the water topped off. If you lose 1 gallon of water to evaporation you salinity swings will be dangerous. Al's 10g won't house many fish. Maybe a shrimp and goby pair. I personally would not try a nano on my first tank but doable.
If I do a 10 gallon then I’ll get a auto top off thing to prevent any salinity swings. What type of shrimp and Gobys would you recommend? Thanks!

Rcslade124
I don't know what space you have in the house. Personally I would get a 40g breeder from Petco and a 20L for a sump minimal. Look up overflow boxes and drill the tank and use the 20L as a sump. But the 10g will work just gotta be on top of parameters. This is an example of the shrimp goby pair. They will go everywhere in the tank together. The shrimp cleans out the cave they live in the goby brings the food.

ryanr
Personally, bigger is better. It gives you more stocking options, more stability in parameters.
10G is doable, and whilst an ATO is handy, they also take up space and $$$, if you keep on top of daily top ups, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Jesterrace
jkkgron2 said:
Would a 10 gallon be a bad choice? Originally I was going to take down my 10 gallon that I already have so I could set up the 20 but now I’m not sure if taking down the 10 would be a good idea (all the plants are doing well, are established, and I’ve got a thriving colony of endlers). Instead of doing the 20 gallon I might be able to do two 10 gallons instead but I know it’d be harder. What do you guys think? Is it manageable as long as I have it understocked and get a lot of live rock?
It's not a bad choice provided you understand the limitations that it offers and it will require very frequent maintenance. That said, if you could bump it to a 20 gallon long it would definitely make it easier on you and double your stocking options for fish.

jkkgron2
Hi again,

I did decide to do the 20 gallon and I’m starting to order the equipment. So far I’ve ordered the refractometer and I’m looking at some protein skimmers and powerheads. Does anyone have any specific suggestions for either? I’d prefer them to be on the cheaper side but I’m open to suggestions

Rcslade124
Tunze has a decent prices hob skimmer. And for wave pumps tunze also has good prices for what you need

Rcslade124
You won't find a tunze that price. Those will do the job for sure. Here's the skimmer and wa makers I ment

Those will work and much cheaper. I would just have a backup plan incase they don't last long

Rcslade124
Like I was explained about reef aquarium. When you can watch a 100$ bill burn then you are ready for a reef. I remember when I was looking at a corner sponge filter for my freshwater tank and was like ugh 60$ that's alot. And 30$ for rock ugh I pass. Then I got a reef. Haha I just spent 120$ on a rodi booster pump to make water faster. Oh look at that 100$ coral yes please. Oh live coral sale just one. Haha

jkkgron2
Lol! I think for now I’ll stick with the cheap stuff just in case something goes wrong/I decide I don’t want to do saltwater after I try it. In the future I’ll look into upgrading to those!

Rcslade124
Excited for this to get built and see it

Jesterrace
jkkgron2 said:
Avoid both of those. Trust me when I say you don't want a suction cup mounted powerhead. You want one that is magnetic backed as suction based powerheads aren't the easiest to get to stick in place (I own one as a backup) and suction based mounts wear out in a few months in a saltwater tank. Then you have something spraying water at a high rate breaking free and wreaking havoc in your tank. With the magnetic backing the powerhead stays firmly in place for years and goes on pretty easy to boot.

A Jebao would be a good bang for buck and has the added advantage of being adjustable speed so you can dial in the flow you want for your tank without having to do trial and error with different powerheads:

https://www.amazon.com/Jebao-OW-10-...eywords=Jebao+Powerhead&qid=1605580305&sr=8-2

As for the skimmer, you honestly don't need one on a tank of that size as long as you stick to a lighter bioload. Most HOB Skimmers aren't worth the purchase and the ones that are cost a fair bit (ie Tunze, Eshoppes PSK-75H, Reef Octopus Classic 100). Stick to water changes, go light on the feeding and maintain your filter pad/floss, etc. and you should be good.

jkkgron2
Hi again,

I’ve been looking into the fluval sea evo 13.5g and I feel like it would be a good beginner setup. It already comes with a pump and filter and the lighting seems to be good for some corals? I also really like the design. If I go this route I will not use a protein skimmer, Atleast at first. Would that tank along with these products make a good saltwater setup?

Fluval M series heater 50watt

20lbs Caribsea live sand

Real reef 5lbs dry rock (each rock is established in a saltwater aquarium for 11-16 weeks, then shipped damp?)

8lbs dry rock

Hydor Koralia 240 GPH

Dr.Tim’s ammonium chloride

And then a single clownfish/a different fish, haven’t decided.

jkkgron2
Jesterrace Rcslade124 ?

Rcslade124
Sounds like a good plan. Is the m series heater a pre set heater or an adjustable. Not that it matters as long as it keeps the water around 75-79.

jkkgron2
Rcslade124 said:
Sounds like a good plan. Is the m series heater a pre set heater or an adjustable. Not that it matters as long as it keeps the water around 75-79.
Yeah it’s adjustable. Thanks!
Any suggestions on what to put in the tank? So far I’m thinking either focusing on the fish or getting some sort of invert (suggestions?) and then focusing on the beginner corals I could keep in that tank.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom