Thinking of starting a cichlid tank

DarkRider7th

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hey guys i'm planning on getting a 40 gallon next spring & I wanted to try having cichlids, But I need alittle help on figuring out what kind I should get & how many.

I was thinking either convicts or firemouths.. maybe even kribs if I can find them locally. So what do you guys suggest I get?

I know spring is a long way off but I like researching way ahead of time so I can be ready

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Looks like you are off to a good start, just make sure to research. :sign0011:

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi DarkRider, There are a variety of Cichlids that will do well in a 40gal, either in pairs or kept alone. Firemouths, Convicts, Blue Acara, Kribensis, Cockatoos, Rams, and Jewel Cichlids, to name just a few.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Great suggestions from Nick.

Here are a couple of links that may help you and or at least give you some ideas:

I realize the link below is for 55 gallon but maybe it will give you a tip or two:

Best wishes!
Ken

DarkRider7th

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks guys for the suggestions & the links i'll take a look at them. Now I'm off to research

Chicklette

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good Luck, there are so many to choose from. Im glad you are researching first, that is really good.

DarkRider7th

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Chicklette said:
Good Luck, there are so many to choose from. Im glad you are researching first, that is really good.
It's going to be so hard to choose because of the variety! I never knew that there was so many for a 40 gallon lol.

Now for a few Q's, I'm leaning toward firemouths but I was wondering should I do all firemouths or could I do some kind of mix like 1 FM & 1 Con? or is that to much for a 40 gallon????

Chicklette

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The con might be to aggressive for the firemouth.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If I were doing my 55 over again I would go with rams as my cichlid as they offer a much greater variety of tank mates than the larger cichlids.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A female Convict would certainly be ok with a Firemouth, although if you have a male Firemouth and a female Con then they'll probably crossbreed. A male Con would likely be fine with a Firemouth too though.

DarkRider7th

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ok I was just wondering. I thought about rams but i've never seen them at any of my lfs & I don't really want to order them online, I prefer seeing the fish before I buy.. oh & if anybody has a stocking list they want to share go ahead

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think as you research, try to decide do you want South American cichlids or african cichlids....the generally prefer water parameters at the opposite ends. SA's softer more acidic contions and most Africans at hard high ph water.

Wow!! your options are endless....I fell in love with SA fish but I sure admire the beauty of some the the African lake fish too.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom