Thinking of restocking my tank.... 50 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by e_watson09, Apr 2, 2010.

1. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Well if anyone has read any of my threads yes I know I have an overstocked tank but it has double the filter power needed for the ammount of water and then also all of the fish (except the silver dollars) are juviniles and I plan to get a bigger tank at some point and if I can't get one before they get too big I'll be rehoming them.

Currently I have...
    3 Parrot Cichlids (about 1.5 inches each)
    3 Green Severms (one is 2in and the other two are between 1 and 1.5 inches)
    3 Silver Dollars (about 2-3inches each)
    1 Common Pleco (5inches)

I am thinking that most of these fish prefer to be in bigger groups and so I'm tossing around ideas of what I want to do....

-I'm keeping the parrots and the pleco no matter what, my mom loves the parrots and I love my pleco, mr. dinosaur. Once they get too large they're going in the bigger tank I get or my friend has a 75 he'll let me throw them in until I get a bigger tank.

I'm thinking I want more parrots but I'm not positive who I want to sell to the LFS. Should I sell the Silver dollars and get more parrots and maybe another severm or should I sell the severms and get more parrots (no more silver dollars mommy doesn't like them haha)

Keep in mind yes I know when they grow up I will be over stocked but I have juveniles right now and the tank is fine for them for now.

2. OP
    OP
    e_watson09

oh and I do weekly water changes, usually around 25% or less. Unless it's really dirty then I may do a little more.

3. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

There will end up being issues between the 3 Severums you already have so I wouldn't be getting anymore of those. I would infact be returning at least one, probably two. Better still all three. I'd also sell the Silver Dollars.

In other words I'd only keep the 3 Parrots & the Pleco & even then, only if I knew i had a bigger tank coming very soon.

4. OP
    OP
    e_watson09

Why will I have issues with the severms? Do they not like eachother? They always seem to be swimming kinda together.

5. Nutter

That's only temporary while they are very young. Once they get to about 2 1/2" - 3" inches they will start to get more aggressive towards each other. Like every american cichlid you can only keep one male of the species in the tank & with Severums you can only get away with one female in a tank unless the tank is really large. I can't even do two female Sevs in my 180gal.

6. OP
    OP
    e_watson09

Hummm, I wish I woulda known this before I bought them. I was told they like big groups.....

Is there any way to tell a male and female apart?

7. Nutter

Probably difficult at the size of your. Generally the easiest way to tell is that the male will have a pointed, extended anal fin & electric blue lines on it's face. The female has a more rounded, shorter anal fin & the lines on the face are generally absent or much more indistinct.

There arn't many American cichlids that like big groups. Generally they like to be kept as pairs or individually. The exceptions would be some geophagus species & rams which can be kept as one male with several females for him to spread his 'affections' among. American cichlids also like lots of room. 50gal is really only large enough for a breeding pair of Severums & not alot else. Hybrids like Parrots are different in thier behaviour because they are not wild fish & so don't have the defense & breeding traits of most american cichlids.

8. OP
    OP
    e_watson09

I did read up a bit on them and I'm definatly getting rid of atleast one. I talked to a guy at the LFS today and he said he'd atleast by the larger one as a large but the other two he'd have to buy as mediums and there is like a $5.00 difference so I'm thinking about going ahead and giving up the big one and then letting the other two get bigger and then pick one of the two to keep. I think I'm going to keep the medium on anyways it's the brightest of all three haha.

I think I probably will go ahead and give up the silver dollars as well. I've heard they like to be in big groups like of 5 or more. Maybe I'll con my friend with the 75gal tank to take them and buy a couple more haha. He says he likes silver dollars.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice