Thinking Of Rcs

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Hill Dweller, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Hill Dweller

Hill Dweller Well Known Member Member

Our 10g tank now feels pretty settled with 10 ember tetras and 2 male guppies.

I've noticed since the very first minutes the guppies were total piggy wiggies, picking at the driftwood and grubbing at the plants and even cleaning off the top of the sand!

I woke up after their first night to find a bunch of leaf melt from a new plant strewn all over the bottom.

On the one hand they seem to ensure no leftovers but on the other hand they are making quite a mess!

I'm wondering if a few RCS might help with stuff the guppies are tearing up from the plants? I vacuum at least weekly but hate looking at all these bits and pieces during the week.

Of course I would feed them their own food and not expect them to replace vacuuming.

Plus I have read that RCS are terribly entertaining!

Anyway, so will shrimp eat these bits of plants the guppies are strewing about?

Thanks!

2. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

What type of plants do you have? Usually plant melt is due to the water or lighting rarely from fish unless you have fish that eat or destroy plants like many cichlids.

The RCS might work but they can be eaten by the guppies. I suggest ghost shrimps

3. OP
    OP
    Hill Dweller

Thanks! The plant is a lilaeopsis (spelling?) it's a grassy type of thing, it either was allowed to get a bit dry on the way home or it's finding the parameters a bit different to the tank at the shop. Most of it is ok, and I have some from earlier which are doing fine, but golly the guppies went to town on it!

They seem to be leaving the larger plants alone (blue stricta, green pennywort and anubias nana), and they don't have any melt, but it's harder to tell what's going on exactly with the taller plants at the back

You may have a point about the guppies eating the shrimp, they are SO greedy! Is it a matter of shrimp size to guppy mouth size, or can the guppies attack a shrimp even if it won't fit in their mouth?

4. Seyff

Seyff Valued Member Member

I have seen a guppy cram a RCS shrimp in her mouth that did not fit after shaking it like a shark, she swam around with the tail sticking out of her mouth for a while. However I do keep wild type (WT) color RCS in my guppy tank. They seem to be bothered less and blend in, the bright colored ones I ended up moving to their own tank. I do not see my shrimp eating plant pieces, they perch on the whole plant and graze off of them. (they also eat the fish food)

I net or tweezer out plant pieces when I do water changes.

5. OP
    OP
    Hill Dweller

I will now be hearing the jaws music whenever I look at the guppies! :) what a crazy thing!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice