Thinking Of Making One Tank A Snail Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 45 gallon tank that I want to turn into a snail tank mostly but I would like to add a few fish to also. What fish would go well with the snails? I don’t want the run of the mill fish in here. I would like to have maybe 6 special ones that are on the larger size nd maybe some Cory’s.

Meghanfloof

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
African butterfly fish COULD work, but personally I think they would do better in a 55gal+ as they get 5 inches and need groups of 3 or more

If you want something unique you could do a yellow tail spiny eel! Although they can sometimes be hard to start eating in captivity, my friend has one who will eat from her fingers though and they are very personable fish!

CaptAnnDuchow

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
African butterfly fish COULD work, but personally I think they would do better in a 55gal+ as they get 5 inches and need groups of 3 or more

If you want something unique you could do a yellow tail spiny eel! Although they can sometimes be hard to start eating in captivity, my friend has one who will eat from her fingers though and they are very personable fish!
Pretty sure we are talking about differnet fish since this fish actually likes to be the only top dweller and very rarely gets along with its own species.

Meghanfloof

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Pretty sure we are talking about differnet fish since this fish actually likes to be the only top dweller and very rarely gets along with its own species.
I think we are talking about the same, but according to most places I've read about them, groups of their own species is fine, it's just the smaller top dwellers like hatchetfish and such that get harassed

OP
M

Monee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OMG! I just discovered Discus fish! Gotta do more research but maybe they could do well in my 75 gallon tank.

OP
M

Monee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Discus are some of my favorite fish but I don’t have the space for them yet. Any questions?
I know nothing ! I’m looking into them and nothing is consistent. I have a 75 gallon tank. Not sure if it’s big enough for them.

Gourami36

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I know nothing ! I’m looking into them and nothing is consistent. I have a 75 gallon tank. Not sure if it’s big enough for them.
It’s big enough for maybe 6-7 discus if it’s discus only. They need temperature about 82, ph around 6.5. Diet is carnivore but could eat some vegetables once a week or so. High quality granules and flakes are good for staple diet with some live or frozen food every few days but don’t feed too many bloodworms. Discus are sensitive but not as sensitive like some people say. Sand or bare bottom is good for substrate but it doesn’t matter very much. Good quality discus are usually around $50+ each. Keeping them with small fast moving schooling fish like tetras can encourage them to be less shy (nikm128 told me). If they are finicky eaters try garlic guard or put an orange peel in their tank (search online for orange peel discus)

Lance0414

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
African Butterflys prefer to be alone and because of there slow moving ways a 20 long is the minimum tank size. How about a Rainbow Cichlid or a Blue Acara with a group of 10 Cories?

OP
M

Monee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It’s big enough for maybe 6-7 discus if it’s discus only. They need temperature about 82, ph around 6.5. Diet is carnivore but could eat some vegetables once a week or so. High quality granules and flakes are good for staple diet with some live or frozen food every few days but don’t feed too many bloodworms. Discus are sensitive but not as sensitive like some people say. Sand or bare bottom is good for substrate but it doesn’t matter very much. Good quality discus are usually around $50+ each. Keeping them with small fast moving schooling fish like tetras can encourage them to be less shy (nikm128 told me). If they are finicky eaters try garlic guard or put an orange peel in their tank (search online for orange peel discus)
That’s expensive but worth it. Maybe get 2 a month unless that’s a problem.

Gourami36

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That’s expensive but worth it. Maybe get 2 a month unless that’s a problem.
They do better in groups of 5 or more and if you get all of them at the same time you don’t have to quarentine and they will be the same size. If some are bigger they might be aggresive

Lance0414

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Discus are Cichlids so expect aggression, but not as much as most other Cichlids. Keeping Discus is very hard, you will need a RO/DI System and perfect water. If you get Discus you will want to get them all at the same time, get them young so that they grow up together so there is minimal aggression.

Lance0414

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
5 Gallons in the fish world is a big difference. Discus need a 60 Gallon or larger because a 60 gallon has length and height while a 55 is shorter.Discus are taller fish and need a taller tank than other fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom