Thinking Of Making A Small Shrimp Cull Tank

MaximumRide14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey guys. I've had this idea for a while now because I have some culls from my shrimp tanks. Right now I have a ten gallon for blue neos, a ten gallon for bloody mary neos, and a five gallon neos. I rarely have blue culls, but I have some of the reds and most of the black shrimp that I need to take out of the colony. The black culls are actually a nice blue color that I'd want to keep (or at least sell as culls), but I can't keep it in the black rose tank or move them to the blue tank. I was thinking that the tank would be either 2.5 or 5.5 gallons. I don't want to spend too much on this tank because I'd be selling these shrimp out quickly. I don't think I'd add a light. I could put sand as a substrate though. I have BacterAE to help establish biofilm. I could buy a small sponge filter to put in the tank (I have a 10 gallon air pump hooked up to a sponge filter in a 5.5 gallon, but I don't know if it would work if I split the airline?). Would this be a reasonable set up for shrimp to be held there temporarily? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would use the 5.5 you have a better chance of keeping your water stable and get s second hand pump or one for that wouldn't be much and use a single sponge with some jarva moss. Do any of the other tanks have a double sponge in?

OP
MaximumRide14

MaximumRide14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
richie.p said:
I would use the 5.5 you have a better chance of keeping your water stable and get s second hand pump or one for that wouldn't be much and use a single sponge with some jarva moss. Do any of the other tanks have a double sponge in?
My ten gallon blue shrimp tank does.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can take one of the sponges out and replace with a new one this will seed in 2 weeks, the one you take out put in the 5.5 with water from the 10 gallon and you have a cycled tank but without biofilm so add some bactor AE to kick start that with some plants, I added shrimp two weeks later, while I was waiting for things to settle I put a few fish in then removed before adding shrimp

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If its just a cull/sell tank I would leave it bare bottomed and add moss or other floating plants.

OP
MaximumRide14

MaximumRide14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
smee82 said:
If its just a cull/sell tank I would leave it bare bottomed and add moss or other floating plants.
Yeah I was thinking of not putting any substrate in just to make it easier. I can get come cholla and moss though!
richie.p said:
You can take one of the sponges out and replace with a new one this will seed in 2 weeks, the one you take out put in the 5.5 with water from the 10 gallon and you have a cycled tank but without biofilm so add some bactor AE to kick start that with some plants, I added shrimp two weeks later, while I was waiting for things to settle I put a few fish in then removed before adding shrimp
Thank you! I'll try this if I see enough culls in my tanks