Thinking Of Making A Small Shrimp Cull Tank

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey guys. I've had this idea for a while now because I have some culls from my shrimp tanks. Right now I have a ten gallon for blue neos, a ten gallon for bloody mary neos, and a five gallon neos. I rarely have blue culls, but I have some of the reds and most of the black shrimp that I need to take out of the colony. The black culls are actually a nice blue color that I'd want to keep (or at least sell as culls), but I can't keep it in the black rose tank or move them to the blue tank. I was thinking that the tank would be either 2.5 or 5.5 gallons. I don't want to spend too much on this tank because I'd be selling these shrimp out quickly. I don't think I'd add a light. I could put sand as a substrate though. I have BacterAE to help establish biofilm. I could buy a small sponge filter to put in the tank (I have a 10 gallon air pump hooked up to a sponge filter in a 5.5 gallon, but I don't know if it would work if I split the airline?). Would this be a reasonable set up for shrimp to be held there temporarily? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would use the 5.5 you have a better chance of keeping your water stable and get s second hand pump or one for that wouldn't be much and use a single sponge with some jarva moss. Do any of the other tanks have a double sponge in?

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would use the 5.5 you have a better chance of keeping your water stable and get s second hand pump or one for that wouldn't be much and use a single sponge with some jarva moss. Do any of the other tanks have a double sponge in?
My ten gallon blue shrimp tank does.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can take one of the sponges out and replace with a new one this will seed in 2 weeks, the one you take out put in the 5.5 with water from the 10g and you have a cycled tank but without biofilm so add some bactor AE to kick start that with some plants, I added shrimp two weeks later, while I was waiting for things to settle I put a few fish in then removed before adding shrimp

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If its just a cull/sell tank i would leave it bare bottomed and add moss or other floating plants.

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If its just a cull/sell tank i would leave it bare bottomed and add moss or other floating plants.
Yeah I was thinking of not putting any substrate in just to make it easier. I can get come cholla and moss though!
You can take one of the sponges out and replace with a new one this will seed in 2 weeks, the one you take out put in the 5.5 with water from the 10g and you have a cycled tank but without biofilm so add some bactor AE to kick start that with some plants, I added shrimp two weeks later, while I was waiting for things to settle I put a few fish in then removed before adding shrimp
Thank you! I'll try this if I see enough culls in my tanks

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom