Thinking of getting snail but IDK 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Snails' started by FLGirl, Apr 16, 2010.

1. FLGirl

FLGirlWell Known MemberMember

Hiya, I thought it might be neat to get an invert and think a snail might be best but.... Iv been looking at different ones. Sometimes I start to like them then I read horror stories of them taking over tanks or special needs like having to not fill the tank because they need so many inches of air etc. and I also read they produce allot of waste.. Are there any snails that you can just have like 1 of and that are fairly easy to care for?

I'm not sold on the idea of getting a snail just a lil interested.

What do you snail keepers think? :D

2. steed1172

steed1172Well Known MemberMember

alot of those "horror" storys about snails are not exactly right and not exactly wrong.. snails that can easily over populate tanks include pond snails, rams horn snails, and MTS.
    and the ones that need so many inches of air would be mystery snails, but they don't need muche,just enough of a gap so they can crawl up to surface, and extend their siphon, snails *can* produce alot of waste, but their waste is "good" waste, the amount waste compared to the amount of "gunk" they eat(algae, left over food, decaying plant matter) its little.(unless you have a HUGE snail then it gets a little messy)
    but if you don't want to lower your water even one inch, consider a trapdoor snail, they aren't as colorful as mystery snails, but they have gills and don't need air above your water, and if you only get one you won't end up with a ton.(same thing with mystery snails, as mentioned above the only snails that really reproduce like mad{and can reproduce with a single} are the ponds, rams, and MTS)

and to the part of faily easy to care for... all snails are very easy to care for. just don't use meds, or anything containing copper and they are happy!

3. OP
    OP
    FLGirl

Thanks I'm going to go start looking at those trapdoor snails and see what info I can find. The mysteries look cool too but I don't think I want to lower my water. Thanks!!! ;D

4. jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogsFishlore VIPMember

i have two nerites i my 20g. one zebra and one tracked "tiger". they don't have the potential to grow as big as mystery, and eat algae even more. i'm not exactly sure on the needing to climb up for air thing.....i've seen mine do it sometimes....but i just thought they were exploring. idk!

as far as feeding, if you don't have a ton of stuff for them to eat, ex. newish tank....you could just get some small algae wafers to give them sometimes. also they like to eat raw zucchini, and it's good calcium for their shells. just anchor it under a little rock.

5. steed1172

steed1172Well Known MemberMember

info!
    they also have info on many other snails on that site(left side under "bugs" or buggy)

6. OP
    OP
    FLGirl

:;thx got to check out what all my local stores even have too. :;tea

7. potatos

potatosValued MemberMember

Nerite snails can have very interesting patterns, and their eggs will not hatch in freshwater (but the eggs will sit on the glass unless you remove them) and if you only get one, you will not have eggs. Mine looks brown from a distance, but upon close inspection, his shell consists extreamly fine yellow and black lines, which appear brown from afar. they are also wonderful algae eaters BTW

8. Treefork

TreeforkWell Known MemberMember

You don't really have to "lower" your water for the mystery snails. As long as there is a gap between the water and your lighting, they extend a breathing tube out at the surface of the water. I don't do anything special for my mysteries and they have been in my tank for several months. They will eat all the food your fish miss and then some. They are fantastic cleaners. If you only have one it won't reproduce and the cool thing is they get about the size of a golf ball. Definately add some flavor to the tank. I love mine.

9. Beth1965

Beth1965Well Known MemberMember

:;snailI have several MTS in my 20gal tank and love them, love to watch them. I don't "lower" the tank water level, there is plenty of room at the top with out doing this.
    They do reproduce but the babes don't survive.
    If yuo're afaid of having the babies, just get one.:;snail:;snail
    Beth

10. rainman

rainmanWell Known MemberMember

Just one thing: chinese mystery snails live longer and healthier in cooler water. (65F-75F)

11. OP
    OP
    FLGirl

Thanks, all the different opinions are great! I fill my tank high but leave a space so that its not too close to my light/hood. I like filling it high as a preference and another reason is my filter. If I fill it where I do now it makes some nice gentle surface movement and my fish like to swim in and towards the little current it makes. :D If I go lower it does more of a straight water fall and blows the little guys away if they get to close so they kinda avoid it. :( Thats why I didn't want to compromise on lowering the water. :;scuba The more I read I defiantly probably lol want to get a snail but just one. I put it on the list of things to look at when I visit my LFS next. I'll check out what they have, and what I like and if I think I really want it I'll come home and research some more...actually I might go there right now they are open late. :;f

12. Elodea

ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

I'd say go for nerite snails. All are superb algae eaters (the 2 of mine erasing all the diatoms in my 10 gallon in just 2 weeks), and have very bright colors. Nerite snails are not hermaphrodites, I think that mine are males, as I have no eggs in my tank.

Olive nerite snails are the "normal" ones with glossy brownish-green shells. They get to about 1".

Zebra nerite snails are slightly larger, and are black with gold stripes (pretty!)

Ruby, or tracked nerite snails are about the same size as the olives, and are coral red to pinkish orange with little black track markings on their shells.

My favorite, horned nerite snails, are golden yellow with a thick black stripe going down to whorl of their shells. The unique part are the little black needle-like spikes protruding from the shell. As the smallest snail, they are only 2/3 to 3/4 of an inch in shell diameter, this being a great advantage in being able to crawl up delicate plant leaves to eat algae that the larger nerite snails would be too heavy to.

13. jerilovesfrogs

me too for nerites! though my tracked is pretty big. he's probably full grown i'm guessing. the zebra is smaller, but maybe he's just younger. idk. but they are really fun to watch. they're always up to something.

but as elodea said, the horned are smaller to get to small plant leaves.....i have some brown algae on a small leafed (fake) plant and i've not really seen them on it. hmmmm. i did see the tracked climbing up the airline tubing! it was funny. :)

14. Elodea

ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

Really? My horned nerites love climbing the plant leaves in my tank.

15. OP
    OP
    FLGirl

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses! While out today I kept an eye out for nerites snails but didn't see any. Did see some Mysteries though, I'll keep looking. :D

16. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

get a few pond , mts, and ramshorns, and then a few assassins to hunt them down and keep the population in check! Okay that's kind of disturbing, oh well , its deliciously evil. :D

17. OP
    OP
    FLGirl

e-v-i-l! I think I'll go with 1 pretty snail if I can find one. :;a1

18. Treefork

TreeforkWell Known MemberMember

Might have to make some phone calls for the nerites, I've found one store locally that stocks them but most of them just have mysteries.

19. jerilovesfrogs

well it seems as if my zebra has getting more active. yesterday and last night i saw him on the bottom of the heater, there's been a lot of gunk on it....well he cleaned it very well! i've also seen him a lot more outside the vase/cave today. idk.

i got another tracked nerite yesterday. i wasn't planning on having him the 20g, where he is now, but he's there until i get my unexpected situation worked out. anyway....he is very new and has been having lots of fun. more active than the other, older tracked. i have another (new, tracked) in my qtank with some rasboras. he's been climbing up and down the airline tubing like an acrobat lol.

20. OP
    OP
    FLGirl

lol they really sound like a fun addition! :D

edit- Well, the chain pet store I went in had snails but Im pretty sure most where dead. :eek: I called my LFS and they said yeah we have tons. He mentioned a few I hear, Mystery, trapdoor, and zebra nerite. Planning on getting one soon. SO far leaning toward the zebra nerite but doing more research and will see what they have. :;f

Last edited: May 1, 2010