Thinking of getting sand and activated carbon?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by AmandaB, Dec 31, 2012.

1. AmandaBValued MemberMember

My driftwood is STILL leaking tannins... Grr!

I was thinking to switch to sand since I have cory cats (currently a bare bottom) and was wondering if I could mix in activated carbon with the sand or is activated carbon just supposed to be the substrate when you use it. Or am I supposed to put it in the filter, if in the filter where, do I need a bag (if so what kind) or just put it in loose?? :;dk

I read it will get rid of the tannin coloring in the water.... true?

Here is what I'm thinking to get:
    http://www.amazon.com/Acurel-Loving...d=1356981116&sr=8-1&keywords=activated+carbon

So would I just use that as the substrate or mix it in with the sand or put it in the filter? Does it dissolve eventually or would I just strain out the large chunks of carbon after so long and add fresh?

I hate tannin but love the driftwood. *sigh*
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  2. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Switching to sand is a great idea. However, mixing the carbon in with the sand is not. Well, not if you want it to remove the tannins. Carbon has to be replaced regularly to maintain it's effectiveness. It goes in a media bag, in the filter. What kind of filter do you have?

3. marine590622Well Known MemberMember

If your want to remove the tannins, pull the driftwood and boil it. Drain, boil it again, continue each time you boil it, the water you drain should be lighter. After several cycles of this, you can put the wood back in the tank and it will take longer for it to stain the water.

4. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

IME - The best way to get rid of tannins in driftwood is to leave it setting in a bucket with water (and put some prime in it) for about 24 hours. Every few hours or when the water is discolored, then renew the water. If the driftwood is bigger than the bucket, then turn it over every few hours as well.

5. AmandaBValued MemberMember

I have the Aqua tech filter. I dont think there is more room for a bag to be placed in there... unless I remove the blue or white one...?

Could I put it in a bag and then lay it on the ground under the filter? Or with a suction cup place it so it floats right under the filter?

I boiled it twice and let sit in a bucket for a day and replaced water 3 times already. Its mopani driftwood from petco. Should I do it again? :(

I hadnt heard of prime before, is it correct that 1 drop is enough for 10 gallons?? wow! added to my list for next amazon purchase.

6. marine590622Well Known MemberMember

I once purchased about 30 pieces of madagasgar driftwood for a presentation/event for our local planted tank club. I piled them up in a 55 gallon trash can in the basement and each night I dumped the water out and refilled with water from my hot water tap. I did this for about 30 days.

When the club met we were doing a presentation where we set up three tanks 1 low light, 1 medium light, and 1 high light. The driftwood that was soaked like that, did not stain the water. (I did not a spike in my water and gas bills that month)

Each time you boil and soak the wood when you drain off the water you should see it getting lighter and lighter.

I am unaware of prime or even activated carbon having much of an effect on tannin in water.

7. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Or you could get a cheap filter and just put the carbon in there. That would make it easy to change out, as you wouldn't be fooling with the rest of the media. And, if you ever have to medicate, you can just unplug the filter. If you have a little bit of media in the carbon filter, you can use that to reseed your main filter if the meds kill your cycle. You can also have a little media in there for starting up a quarantine tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice