thinking of getting Cichlids...any recommendations?

Buzz

Reaction score
I was thinking of setting up a 30 gallon tank and putting in some cichlids...so far, we have one plaid julie cichlid (in another tank).

Does anyone have suggestions of what sort of cichlids I should go with or any particular favorites?  Also, I am new to cichlids - do they have any particular likes/ dislikes?

Thanks,
Buzz

Joe G

Reaction score
I don,t no anything about Cichlids , but I love the colours of the Yellow Lab and Red Zebra Cichlids.

check out this link, for some ideas.

ecnaj143

Well Known
Reaction score
Well, to be honest. I would get one big cichlid for that tank by himself. I recommend a Venustus cichlid. Their beautiful, peaceful to watch, but boy are they pigs when it comes to food. Again its up to you, just remember that MOST cichlids are VERY territorial.

OP
Buzz

Buzz

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas everyone!
Buzz

hopesmom

Reaction score
hI Buzz! my family and I went to a great lfs yesterday, and they had some super cichlids. Afterwards we were all talking about our favorites, and the cichlid we all agreed on (if we had a big enough tank) was the cyrtocara moorI (blue dolphin). they were very peaceful (for a cichlid!) and interesting with a big lump shaped head and beautiful blue color....what I've heard is they can live in a 55 gallon until they are about 5" but then they have to go to a 100g....so...do you need an excuse to get a 100 gallon tank? lol
Denise

badger

Reaction score
A pair of convict cichlids could live cofortably in 30g, they are supposed to be very easy to breed and a good beginner cichlid. Whatever you get have fun with it.

OP
Buzz

Buzz

Reaction score
OK then, that settles it!

Out with the sofa and in with the 100 gallon tank...Cichlids here I come ;D
bUZZ

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online