Thinking of getting an Oscar

ScottPHX

Reaction score
Hi everyone!!  I'm so new at this, I haven't even bought a tank yet!!  I've been reading this site to see what I'm getting myself into before I take the plunge.  I'm going to start with a 55 gallon tank and I guess the biggest challange I have is deciding whether or not to get a bunch of little fish, or a few big fish.  From all the posts that I've read so far, the Oscars seem like great fish to have, but I dont see myself ever owning a tank bigger than 55gal.  I'm considering one Oscar, one pleco, one or two Jack Dempsys, and a few little Cory Cats (to help clean the bottom of course).  I know the Oscar and the Pleco will get pretty big so will that leave enough room for the others that I've mentioned?  I'd appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to FishLore! It's great to have you with us!

If a 55 gal. tank is the largest size you will be getting, you will only be able to have 1 oscar and a pleco in that tank. The jack dempseys will overstock your tank. The cory cats will also be eaten, and are not a good idea with oscars. If you want a cichlid tank and cory cats, you might want to think about possibly a pair of angels, at least 6 cory cats, and a few more fish in between like a couple of bristlenose plecos, and maybe some rams. There are so many choices out there! If you are just set on an oscar, then that's all you will be able to have in your tank along with a pleco. You will also have to be diligent in your tank maintenance because oscars and plecos are very messy fish and require at least weekly water changes.

ScottPHX

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. The more I read, the more I can't decide what to get. If I skip the Oscar and go with the Dempsys (perhaps two), would that be ok, or still too many fish? The reason that I liked the idea of having an Oscar was because I like the way they look, and from what I've read, they actually have some personality. But I like the look of the Dempsys too. My problem is, I want big fish, and I want a lot of fish at the same time, and in the same tank.....I'm learning that's a NO NO Thank you for posting the reply, I'll be asking a lot of questions!!!

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Angelfish also have a lot of personality They can get along with many other fish too.

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a 300g tank, with two oscars and a pleco, and one hifin pangasius shark, the oscars really are like puppies, they beg for food, and have loads of personality. if youre looking for a fish with personality, get an oscar, but bare in mind, no plants, not many tank mates either. they also jump so a heavy lid is needed. they are real pigs and can easily fool you into thinking theyre hungry. weve been fooled loads, ill feedthem and my husband walks past and sees them begging and feeds them again. but they really are a pleasure!

DefFishLover

Reaction score
ScottPHX said:
Thanks for the advice.  The more I read, the more I can't decide what to get.  If I skip the Oscar and go with the Dempsys (perhaps two), would that be ok, or still too many fish?  The reason that I liked the idea of having an Oscar was because I like the way they look, and from what I've read, they actually have some personality.  But I like the look of the Dempsys too.  My problem is, I want big fish, and I want a lot of fish at the same time, and in the same tank.....I'm learning that's a NO NO    Thank you for posting the reply, I'll be asking a lot of questions!!!

I have 55 gallon tank and i used be have 2 oscars 6 inches they lived well and it been a years.. Now I have 9 inches Oscar 4 days ago.. One was my 2 oscars i sold it 2 years ago. I plan get other oscar small size abt 5 inches wil be okay with 9 inches oscar..

Noobie

Valued Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I were shopping around the pet stores this weekend, and came across a gorgeous fish. A pink and purple chichlid-looking thing, possibly an oscar. The pet store had it in a tank by itself, so I'm assuming an African chichlid, due to their territorial aggression issues. I'll have to go back and investigate further to see exactly what kind of fish I'm dealing with, which will of course dictate the setup i'd need. By the way, what size tank should i have with the single chichlid/oscar inhabitant in mind? Since we've no place to house the mystery fish as of yet, and would need at least 2 weeks to setup any potential housing for it, I'll probably have to make some arrangements with the pet store to buy it, have them keep it until a new tank is ready, and then move it home. However, we're in the process of acquiring a 30 gal tank, with no real plan for stocking it yet, but there are a couple theories:

1. Transfer my 2 (2 inch) tin foil barbs and my redtail shark (also 2") into the 30gal, while leaving my 4 tiger barbs in the 10 gal tank, and adding a panda cory or 2.

2. Wait for a 55+ tank for the TFBs, and use the 30 gal tank for this mystery chichlid, and its yet to be named tank mate(s)

Update!!  It was an oscar, but according to the pet store, it was sold over the weekend.    :'(   Guess I'll worry more about getting and setting up the tank before deciding what to put in it.

Shrimpy

Valued Member
Reaction score
ScottPHX said:
Hi everyone!!  I'm so new at this, I haven't even bought a tank yet!!  I've been reading this site to see what I'm getting myself into before I take the plunge.  I'm going to start with a 55 gallon tank and I guess the biggest challange I have is deciding whether or not to get a bunch of little fish, or a few big fish.  From all the posts that I've read so far, the Oscars seem like great fish to have, but I dont see myself ever owning a tank bigger than 55gal.  I'm considering one Oscar, one pleco, one or two Jack Dempsys, and a few little Cory Cats (to help clean the bottom of course).  I know the Oscar and the Pleco will get pretty big so will that leave enough room for the others that I've mentioned?  I'd appreciate your thoughts and comments.
those r some big fish but i belive they should get along or they will get aggressive

Old Sloppy

Valued Member
Reaction score
kerryve said:
I have a 300g tank, with two oscars and a pleco, and one hifin pangasius shark, the oscars really are like puppies, they beg for food, and have loads of personality.  if youre looking for a fish with personality, get an oscar, but bare in mind, no plants, not many tank mates either.  they also jump so a heavy lid is needed.  they are real pigs and can easily fool you into thinking theyre hungry.  weve been fooled loads, ill feedthem and my husband walks past and sees them begging and feeds them again.  but they really are a pleasure!

I had my 135 gallon tank in the same room as the TV.
When my wife, myself and both sons watch a DVD movie, the Oscars also are watching the TV.
They clump together at one end of the tank all looking directly at the TV set.
At one end of the room is our fireplace, the Oscars follow me back and forth as I carry in the wood.
They also seem to enjoy watching the fire also.

Harry S.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom