Thinking of getting a new tank, confused by manufacturers cleaning instructions

1. SolarShiva Initiate Member

I was perusing the PetSmart site to see what they had for tanks and came across one I really liked. They had instructions listed with it and I was majorly confused as to why. The cleaning instructions are to "change only 25% of water once a month"? It was an aqueon product, 20 gallon hex. Any idea why would they have instructions to only clean the tank once a month?

I contacted PetSmart and they couldn't answer why, said to contact aqueon. I did, they haven't responded yet.

I've never seen a manufacturer give cleaning instructions so I honestly don't know if there is a reason for it or if they could just be discarded as "advice" if I were to purchase the tank.

2. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

I would discard that advice. While monthly is good....weekly is way better. And it doesn't matter what brand fish tank they are in! That is just silly.

But think about it, there are also big brands that make 2 gallon tanks that put a picture on the box of a common goldfish living in it! A fish that is meant to live 30 years and get over a foot long!

I wouldn't listen to the box and I wouldn't listen to the staff at petsmart or aqueon. :)

3. SolarShiva Initiate Member

Thank you for the response. I just wasn't sure if there was something "special" about the tank that would require that. For instance, I was looking at the biOrb because they're pretty neat looking but saw where someone asked about using their rocks/gravel and the answer given was that they really should for the best biological functioning of the aquarium. Now whether thats true or not I don't know as I didn't look into it further, but one never knows so I thought it best to ask where their would be more knowledgeable fish people.

4. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

You will get great advice from the people here on fishlore. That will be way better than any advice given by the fish stores themselves, or the manufacturers :)

Bring your questions here :)

5. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Since you haven't bought a tank yet, I would suggest looking for the biggest tank you can afford and fit comfortably in your house. And by biggest, I would advise getting a longer tank rather than taller or deeper. Longer gives your fish more horizontal swimming space which in turn gives you better options for fish and more room for more fish. Sometimes, the best tank is just the simple rectangle. Bowfronts also give tons of options.