Thinking of doing a loach tank

Phishies Inn
For my new 55 gallon I've been doing many different combinations that I'd like to try, but I think I wanted to try a "loach" tank.

I know right now I want some kuhlI loaches, they're just so cute, always wanted some I'd probably get 5.

What other loaches would go best for my size tank? I was thinking yoyos, but not sure how many.

I would LOVE 2 or 3 clown loaches but I'm not sure how long they'd be able to live in the tank before needing to rehome. Could they be okay?

I was trying to find loaches to sort of go on each "level" of the tank. What loaches like staying in the mid tank area? I know kuhli's tend to be towards the bottoms. Not sure about yoyos or clowns.

So yeah, any suggestions on what loaches would be nice! I should also add that aside from the loaches there will be a pleco in the tank - either a common pleco OR a few of the smaller species, haven't decided yet.

As another thing, while "exotic" fish are nice I was trying to think of loaches that aren't impossible to find Nothing too crazy that stores wouldn't have. There's a rather big place up near DC (I live in Virginia) that has a good amount so I'd probably take a road trip and see what they have.

Butterfly
Kuhli, Yoyo, Striata Loaches would be great in a Loach tank Loaches do best in groups of three or more, more is better Provide lots of caves and hiding/sleeping places. they also come out more when there are dither fish at top water. Danios are great for this.
Here is a great place to research loaches and their needs.
This is a picture of my loach tank when it was first set up.
Carol

Phishies Inn
Aahh what a beautiful set up - and actually, I was on the lookout for ideas similar to that to provide caves. I don't know if I'd make the entire tank filled with them but a good portion certainly. What did you use to make your caves? Flagstone?

Anyways, I'm discussing the idea my tank thread in the Member's Tank forum, but the idea of a "black and white" theme is kind of cool. Right now I was thinking of:

4 kuhlI loaches
3 yoyo loaches
3 angelicus loaches
2 marble angelfish

The angelfish I would have for some movement up in the higher areas of the tank since loaches tend to be lower fish, though I read somewhere that angelicus sometimes moves around in the higher levels too. The danios seemed interesting though.

Actually I have a 10 gallon that is a bit overstocked and it has 2 zebra danio fish in it at the moment (formally 3, one died a month ago...been looking bad since I bought it, poor little guy), so assuming I could net them, they might be able to move over. Those things are hard to catch though, and they love hiding down in my plants whenever they see a net

Edit: Wow Butterfly, I found your thread for your loach tank. How many fish do you have in it now? 23 kuhlis! That's so awesome! I hope they're doing ok. I guess they aren't very messy fish?

Eh I've been waffling over the setup. So far I have two ideas:

Either

4 kuhlI loaches
3 yoyo loaches
3 angelicus loaches
2 angelfish

OR

4 kuhlI loaches
3 yoyo loaches
2 angelfish
1 pleco

It's basically whether I want to have a pleco or not. I've always wanted one I went by the LFS today and saw their freshly shipped batch. Ah, so cute.

Butterfly
What did you use to make your caves? Flagstone?
Anyways, I'm discussing the idea my tank thread in the Member's Tank forum, but the idea of a "black and white" theme is kind of cool. Right now I was thinking of:

4 kuhlI loaches
3 yoyo loaches
3 angelicus loaches
2 marble angelfish

The angelfish I would have for some movement up in the higher areas of the tank since loaches tend to be lower fish, though I read somewhere that angelicus sometimes moves around in the higher levels too. The danios seemed interesting though.

Actually I have a 10 gallon that is a bit overstocked and it has 2 zebra danio fish in it at the moment (formally 3, one died a month ago...been looking bad since I bought it, poor little guy), so assuming I could net them, they might be able to move over. Those things are hard to catch though, and they love hiding down in my plants whenever they see a net

Edit: Wow Butterfly, I found your thread for your loach tank. How many fish do you have in it now? 23 kuhlis! That's so awesome! I hope they're doing ok. I guess they aren't very messy fish?
No not flagstones just different size and thickness of flat rock. Some of them were found around lakes and some were bought from rock yards. there is 80 lb of rock in that tank LOL

A black and white theme with lots of plants would be really cool. The only thing I would change is to have more Kuhlis, they really do better in a large group.
The angels would be a good addition and will look very nice but they don't swim back and forth as much as dither fish (schooling fish).
Dither fish swim back and forth constantly and from this the loaches know all is well in their little kingdom, without this type of fish in the tank they tend to stay hidden more.
Thank You Which loach tank thread did you find? I have pictures and threads scattered all over the forum LOL
Alas, after the tank in the picture being up almost a year and the plants covering the rocks grown in a pleaseing manner We had to dismantle our tanks (16) and move to another state. I have tanks back up but none to compare to that one the fish went to stay with Dino at his fish house and have gradually come home or gone to live with others.
Carol

Phishies Inn
Ooo more kuhlis? Works for me! How does 7 sound?

And like I said, I have 2 zebra danios in a 10 gallon that would love the extra space - and more friends? If I got 3 more and had a school of 5, how would that be? Or would that many extra fish be pushing the bioload? I don't really notice how messy danios are.

Butterfly
Seven Kuhlis would be great, they don't have a big bioload at all but since they feed on the bottom you have to make sure the substrate stays clean.
They will absolutely wrestle for a shrimp pellet, since they don't have any defense mechanisms there is never any harm done. They can be really funny. I don't think five danios will push the bioload too much.
When putting in your fish put the weaker ones in first, for instance Danios and Kuhlis, then the next day more loaches and put the angels in at least a day after the last addition. Angels are very territorial and this gives the others a calm time to explore chose their territories first. It will be a beautiful tank
Here are sme KuhlI pictures
Carol

Phishies Inn
Yeah I was going to ask what order to put them in in terms of aggression but you already thought of that Awesome!

The danios will probably be first since I have two already waiting in the 10 gallon. I usually wait a week or two between adding new fish, more if they're supposed to be kind of weaker in terms of adjusting to stuff.

The good news is I went by the LFS yesterday and they had all the fish I needed, except for the Angelicus, but the Petsmart has them. I was worried they weren't going to have kuhlis (I thought they were "rare"), but both the Petco and LFS gets them. The LFS has some very healthy looking yoyos too

Your kuhlis are very cute I can't wait to get some.

What food(s) do you recommend me getting? I have sinking pellet food for my cory cats, would the loaches like that? I also have some freeze dried brine shrimp but that stuff floats, doesn't sink down to the bottom. The danios and angels would like it. And of course flakes. I plan on getting some zucchinI to chop up and keep in the freezer as weekly treats.

Man now I want my concert to get here faster so I can get paid sooner lol! Ahh if only fish keeping was cheaper...

Butterfly
Loaches pretty much intermingle, Danios don't care who's in the tank with them but Angels want to posses the whole tank if their put in first so that's why I listed them the way I did.
After you put the first batch of fish in you might want to think about quarantining the next batch before adding them to the main tank also.
My Kuhlis went crazy for shrimp pellets, veggie wafers and basically anything that fell to the bottom. I did have a couple that would get impatient and swim up into he water column to catch food(very funny) If you have the opportunity to buy Omega One foods then by all means do so, I believe Petsmart carries some varities. It is a better quality food, all food and no fillers
I'm dieing to ask... what kind of concert?
Carol

Phishies Inn
Orchestra I play with a local group (I play viola), we have a Valentine's Day concert coming up. I don't live off the money obviously but it's some nice side cash.

Anyways, I use omega foods now as it is All the stores here have them, yay. My fishies in the 10 gallon just loovee their freeze dried brine shrimp.

Butterfly
Yep I (and my fish)like the Omega One foods as well but they are really hard to find here then only in small containers at high prices.
Carol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jenmur
  • HairyCatFish
  • Loaches
Replies
Views
CHJ
Replies
Views