Thinking Of Dividing My Ten Gallon...

emmysjj
I have a male betta in a 10 gallon standard. He is slightly aggressive (flares, always darting around) but he never attacks my mystery or nerite snails. He is very sweet to me and follows my finger around the tank. Would a divided tank work? How would filtration and heating work? What on the other side? Guppies? ADFs? ChilI rasboras? Another male betta?

Rainbows and Fishes
Except maybe another male betta you’re really not going to fit anything else into your ten gallon, often a netting type divider is all you’ll need and water will simply pass through it allowing for filtration. Maybe just pick up another aquarium on Craigslist or something if you want more fish? You can’t do much with that little water.

emmysjj
If I added another male would they have aggresion problems? Would guppies (2-3 male) work?

Rainbows and Fishes
Yes there would have to be a divider and the proximity might stress the two males. No to the guppies I’d say because they may be slow enough that they could be injured, hard to say honestly.

A female betta on the other side might be a better plan

emmysjj
I heard no m/f divided tanks are how you breed them...

Rainbows and Fishes
Do not just put a female in there without a divider! I’ve bred betta fish before and let me tell you, if you just dump her in she will be killed. Even while breeding they cannot live full time together because the female will be harassed to death.

But with a divider they can live and maybe even breed together long term.

emmysjj
Oh, I would breed but I don't have a grow out tank... he's also a veiltail.

Rainbows and Fishes
Okay, then as long as you have a division in the tank a female or probably a male would be fine

emmysjj
Thanks! Does anyone else have any imput?

motherofbettas
I've heard that you shouldn't put males and females in a divided tank. Something about the females constantly dropping eggs, but I'm not positive.

I have a similar situation. One of my males is really laid back and one is feisty, so I'd say to find another male who is pretty chill. And another thing that helps is to line the divider with plants so they can get away from each other. oh and be sure to monitor them in case one starts showing signs of illness, then you can move him to a QT before he infects your other male

emmysjj
Will this work without a QT Tank? I don't have one and I can't get anymore, especially bc I might get another 10 gallon.

emmysjj
My betta has had some fin rot issues in the past and his fins never healed properly (haven't gotten worse). Would this risk another betta?

motherofbettas
My betta has had some fin rot issues in the past and his fins never healed properly (haven't gotten worse). Would this risk another betta?

So long as his fins aren't getting worse and your water is *clean* it should be fine but I'd do water changes every other day to make sure and encourage new fin growth.
QT is really highly encouraged when you have more than fish in a tank, sickness in fish can be stressful enough without it spreading to the rest of the tank.

emmysjj
I wish I had a spare tank but all I have is a bucket

motherofbettas
I wish I had a spare tank but all I have is a bucket
if you add a filter and heater to it, that could be doable as a QT; you can also check craiglist. I found my 1.5 gallon QT for 10$ {just a heads up, a 1.5 gal is probably the smallest you should go for a QT, I was told that it was a 2 gallon that's why I bought it.}. But be sure that you make sure the previous owner hasn't cleaned it with soap, otherwise it's useless as an aquarium.

emmysjj
Thanks, something to consider in the future. May have to pick up a 2.5 gallon.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BottomDweller
Replies
Views
aquafrogg
Replies
Views
bankruptjojo
Replies
Views