Thinking Of Changing My 55-advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGombs99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've got three tanks currently, and I'm considering going down to two. I'd do this by combining everything I love from my 55, and my 29, in just the 55, and by rehoming everything else. My 100 gallon living room display tank will remain intact (I love that thing!).

So, back to the point of this thread. I need suggestions on a potential stock for the 55. Currently, it's a JD tank, but it's a bit boring to me lately. I'm thinking I want to change from a tank centered around a BAD fish to a tank that's just beautiful. I'll keep a couple of the fish I have, and add a few more. I'll list my must haves below, and I'll ask for opinions for what exactly I can do.

Already have (and want to keep): Electric Blue Acara, Blue Phantom Pleco.

Must Haves: Angelfish (how many can I have)?

Would Like: A blue schooling fish (I'm thinking Bosemani Rainbows, but I'm open to suggestions).

Question: Can I have more than one EBA, or do I need to stick to only one?

55 gallon tank, Aquaclear 70 and Aqueon Quiet Flow 30.

John14:6

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A 55 should be able to hold around 3-6 angel fish.

I am not sure on bosemani rainbows but I think dwarf neon rainbows would be more suitable.

I have no experience with EBA so I don't know.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have 2 EBA in my tank with 20 lemon tetras in my 55. I had an angel fish but the EBA beat the living snot out of it. I tried to save it but it was stressed out that it didn't make it. Basically I have two EBA, one chased the other and decided to take aim at the angel...I'm going to try rescaping the tank...different story.

With that said...you could do an angel fish but keep in mind that your EBA could bully the angel and vice versa. As for the EBA and Boesemani, you could do that, but they'll likely outgrow the tank, especially when they get up to 4" and seeing them just dominate the tank will make your EBA lost in the shuffle.

JGombs99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks! So, it sounds like only two cichlids for this tank? I already have the EBA, and the Pleco. The EBA has been fine with the JD, and has been fine, but I know things can always change.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The JD might get big for the tank. The 55 really is a community tank and allows Cichilds up to about 5”. The EBA grows about 5” max.

The problem with 55s is that they lack depth. It’s only 11.5 inches in depth. So a 8-9” JD will have a tough time turning around.

JGombs99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The JD would not be a part of the tank if I make a change. I was simply explaining what I currently have in the tank (1 JD, 1 EBA, 1 Blue Phantom Pleco). When setting this tank up, the thought was to build it around one "boss" fish (JD). Now, I'm thinking I want a change as I'm currently bored with the tank. I would want to keep everything but the JD, and I'd definitely want to add an Angelfish. I'm trying to decide if I could do multiple Angels and/or multiple EBA. I'd also like to explore a school of something.

JGombs99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just wanted to post what I'm thinking, and hopefully get some suggestions/critiques.

1 Electric Blue Acara
1 Phantom Blue Pleco
2 Angelfish
6-8 Praecox Rainbows
9 Harlequin Rasboras

*I'd love to add a Krib to the tank, but I'm wondering if they're too aggressive for the rest of my stock.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A single krib may work, its not like you have a lot of bottom dwelling fish.... if you can, I would suggest getting a female!

JGombs99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A single krib may work, its not like you have a lot of bottom dwelling fish.... if you can, I would suggest getting a female!
Thanks! If I go with a single female Krib, can I get the exquisite color they're known for, or do you need a pair to achieve that?

How does my stock look, otherwise?

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks! If I go with a single female Krib, can I get the exquisite color they're known for, or do you need a pair to achieve that?

How does my stock look, otherwise?
A single krib should be as colourful as a pair IMO.

Stock looks fine by me!

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't think a single krib would be quite as colorful as a pair, but there should still be some color.

JGombs99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks, guys! I definitely plan to change this tank around. I want Angels to be the main focus, with the EBA, Blue Phantom Pleco, and Krib to be the "supporting cast". The Harlequins are a must have since I already a school, and I'd like to add some Praecox Rainbows, too. I know I mentioned a stock, numbers, etc before, but I'm now thinking about possibly doing something different. For instance, none of the fish I have, or will have are full grown, and I'd like a full looking tank. I'm wondering if I should add more now, and subtract numbers as they get larger. Any thoughts?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No, I wouldn't overstock and subtract numbers as they grow larger. I would buy adults or be patient and wait until they grow.

JGombs99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
No, I wouldn't overstock and subtract numbers as they grow larger. I would buy adults or be patient and wait until they grow.
So, do you think the stocking plan I outlined earlier in this thread is good, or would you alter it a bit? I'd love to get at least three Angels in this tank, if possible. But, not at a cost of losing the EBA, or the Pleco.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Three angels is a bad idea, two will beat up on one. Since you want three different cichlids, each aggressive in their own right, I wouldn't do more than two (though I'd personally just do one, especially since you also want a full school of dwarf neons).

JGombs99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Three angels is a bad idea, two will beat up on one. Since you want three different cichlids, each aggressive in their own right, I wouldn't do more than two (though I'd personally just do one, especially since you also want a full school of dwarf neons).
I've heard that about three Angels before, but isn't that really only a concern if two of the Angels become a breeding pair? Or is it a concern, anyway? I'd consider not doing the Rainbows, perhaps, depending on what I could do with the rest of the tank. I'd also possibly consider a German Blue Ram over a Krib, if that would work out better.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No, it's a concern even if they're not a breeding pair. But especially if two are a breeding pair, and it's not like you can stop that.

JGombs99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
No, it's a concern even if they're not a breeding pair. But especially if two are a breeding pair, and it's not like you can stop that.
Right, of course not! I'm just always trying to learn more, in general, along with trying to make my tank the best it can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom