Thinking of breeding my platies

momo9700
I have 8 platies, and I was thinking of breeding some of them. I wanted to know what I need to do to breed. like if I need to put them in separate tanks, and if so which ones do I move, or what I need to get for them, and such. I also wanted to learn more about how long they are pregnant, what they look like after certain amounts of time(of being pregnant) and if I only use a breeder box, when I need to put it in there.

COBettaCouple
If you have a male, the females in the tank with him will get pregnant. Once pregnant, they'll drop fry around once every 4 weeks.

I like a tank with flat glass marbles for substrate and lots of caves and plants, including floating plants. This will give the fry a better chance of finding hidng spots after they're dropped. Then you can catch them and move them to a separate tank with a sponge filter and a bare bottom (easier to clean). A few caves and plants are good for the fry tank as well.

The females will square off in the back end when close to dropping and on lighter ones you can see little black dots when they're a week or 2 from dropping fry.

momo9700
okay, should I put them in a breeding net when they get squarish, or a little while after they get little black dots? and what size tank should I get for the fry?

COBettaCouple
I don't like to use a breeder net with them. It can stress the mother, causing her to die or hold the fry or abort them early. We have the best luck with our livebearers letting them have fry in the tank and then moving the fry to another tank. If you put the female in the breeder net, you want to do it a little more than a week before she drops.. It's hard to predict and one way to guess would be to put her in about 3 weeks after the last batch of fry dropped.

The bigger, the better for a tank for the fry. Depending on how many females you have, you could find your platy population going up by 100 or more per month. At least a 10 gallon would be best.

momo9700
okay. I'll see if I can get one. so would I just set it up like a normal tank, but no gravel? like I know I have a filter and heater, but do I put in fake plants, or live? and do I get a light?

momo9700
also, is it better to be a tall tank, or a long tank?

angelfish220
Long tanks are overall better, surface area to volume ratio is higher. live floating plants is what I prefer but really it is up to you, as long as it is dense for hiding.

Some people say no gravel at all, but I prefer a thin layer of sand, just enough so that they can't see their reflection on the bottom.

COBettaCouple
I think any plant options that you like would work, I'd just definitely have at least 2 or 3 cave type decor pieces in there for them. A lighted hood would be good and recommended.

momo9700
okay. I do need a heater and filter too right? and I know to keep the filter thing covered in something like a nylon stocking.

COBettaCouple
Yes, you'll want to keep the water about 78-80F with a heater and either use a sponge filter or a regular HOB filter with fish net netting over the intake tube (held in place tightly with a rubber band).

momo9700
okay thanks.

momo9700
The bigger, the better for a tank for the fry. Depending on how many females you have, you could find your platy population going up by 100 or more per month. At least a 10 gallon would be best.

Geez. I have 5 females and 2 males. then one female that is still quite small.

COBettaCouple
They're happy little fry producers. ;D

momo9700
yes, yes they are. very happy indeed.

Fish Addict
Just a question, how many fry may they have at a time... I have never been fortunate to findthe fry before my other fish gobble em up, besides 2 or 3...

momo9700
I think like 12 or more.

COBettaCouple
They can vary from under a dozen to 30 or more even, depending on the size and age of the mother and how well the eggs fertilized in her.

Fish Addict
Sorry to take the attention from the main subject, but what could I do to increase the amount of surviving fry? I would rather not use a breeder thing, and my lighting is only from 2 18 watt lightbulbs, so it might be hard for plants...

momo9700
you can get fake plants. also, how big is your gravel? mine is some pretty large sized pebbles. the fry were always hiding in that.

COBettaCouple
We use flat glass marbles (or the larger gravel IS good too) to create bigger gaps in the substrate.. plus lots of plants and floating plants and plenty of caves.

Sorry to take the attention from the main subject, but what could I do to increase the amount of surviving fry? I would rather not use a breeder thing, and my lighting is only from 2 18 watt lightbulbs, so it might be hard for plants...

Fish Addict
I don't know exactly what size it is... I'm attaching some pictures...

I'm trying to keep it as natural as possible..

Is there a way I could give more light to my tank if I am using a hood?

momo9700
well, you could just go buy a different hood

Fish Addict
I don't think so.. It has my filter in it, and I am not sure how many there will be that fit a 39 gallon tank...

momo9700
hmm, well just get some fake plants. and they have floating plants(that are fake) that look pretty real. and they are made specifically to hide fry

Fish Addict
Are there any low light plants that I could possibly get that could help? I have a few, I only know Java Moss, a type of Sword plant... everything I got at a PetsMart...

momo9700
try petco or look up other pet stores in your area if petsmart doesn't have any. I go to fountains aquariums. but I don't know if that's a la mesa only thing. I get my fish from there too.

Fish Addict
I don't know if there are any here in Atl... I got to Fish Store and More, which has some... they're the ones I trust the most...

momo9700
hmm. well ask them about it. they may know something.

momo9700
oh and when you post your tank pictures, i'd love to see what your sunburst platy(and fry) look like.

dr.fluffanutter
bamboo is a low light plant which can do well in aquariums if their tops are above the water line, but it may not provide much shelter for fry....

Similar Aquarium Threads

• MaximumRide14
  • Platy
Replies
Views
MaximumRide14
  • Question
Replies
Views
Wardonianfungus
Top Bottom