Thinking of adding RCS to Endler tank

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by RainSong1, Aug 8, 2012.

1. RainSong1

RainSong1Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    92655-8-5-12-just-setup-endlers.

Hi:

I just setup a 10 gallon tank and introduced some Endlers into them. I used mature filter media from another tank and there does not seem to be any cycling issues (0 Ammonia 0 NO2).

I am considering adding RCS to this tank. Will they survive with Endlers? Do I need to add more plants, caves etc.? How many should I start with?

Any advice welcome

Thanks

2. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +549
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I would personally add a little bit more moss in that tank just in case your RCS starts breeding and the shrimplets have a place to hide and find some nutrients.

3. OP
    OP
    RainSong1

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    That's a good suggestion. Now if I can find a single source for RCS and moss... 2 birds 1 stone :)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

4. OP
    OP
    RainSong1

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    OK ... I ordered 20 painted fire reds and a hockey puck sized clump of java moss.

What do RCS eat? I read about shrimp pellets ... these ARE pellets made OF shrimp and not some special pellets made FOR shrimp .... right? Seems a little cannibalistic :-(

5. Cichlidnut

CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +165
    I use Omega One shrimp pellets. They have shrimp in them but that isn't the only ingreadiant. My RCS love them. I also feed Earthworm pellets. They are very good at cleaning live plants for food as well.

6. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +549
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Lol....I had the same thought when I started with shrimps. My shrimps eat a variety of things, Fluval Shrimp Granules, HBH Crab and Lobster Bites, Borneo Wild Barley Straw Pellets, Borne Wild Spinach, Borneo Frenzy, Repashy Shrimp Souffle and Blanche Zucchin

7. OP
    OP
    RainSong1

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    My water is extremely soft. I have been using gH booster and baking soda in my tank to bring the numbers up. I just checked ... gH 5 and KH 9. My pH is right around 7.4. Will this work?