Question Thinking Of Adding A Bamboo Shrimp To 10gal

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello! I have recently been doing research and purchasing shrimp for my 10 gallon aquarium with four neon tetras and one non-aggressive betta male. I already have 4 ghost shrimp and 2 Amano shrimp, and possibly 1 cherry shrimp (although I think he got eaten, I won’t be buying anymore cherries ). I was thinking about buying 1 bamboo shrimp to complete my aquarium! I don’t think I would add anymore after that. Do you think a bamboo shrimp would be a good addition?? Thanks!

OP
hannah662parker

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If I'm not mistaken I think they need a well established tank. They are filter feeders so I'm not sure if a 10 is big enough. I'm sure others will chime in
I did read that they were filter feeders! But that they can also eat leftover fish food and stuff like normal shrimp, I think! I’m still unsure cause I wouldn’t want him unhappy, and yes my tank is still fairly new.

OP
hannah662parker

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Also! Been reading more into it, and in regards to the filter, I have a power filter in the corner of my 10gal that has a steady current coming out the top and reaching to the bottom. I keep it on medium for my betta, because he’s not the best swimmer in a strong current. With a moderate, steady current and maybe adding a piece of driftwood near the filter, would this be a suitable feeding situation?? Thanks again!

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@hannah662parker Hey fellow Ohioan.
I just picked one up a few weeks ago. It surely is a character. They are filter feeders, its about 3" long. Reminds me of a "Goalie". Not sure I would keep one with a Betta and the 10g might be to small also.
Here is a pic:
uuybkJR.jpg

Oh, by the way, "Welcome" to the forum.

Best of Luck!

Attachments

OP
hannah662parker

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
@hannah662parker Hey fellow Ohioan.
I just picked one up a few weeks ago. It surly is a character. They are filter feeders, its about 3" long. Reminds me of a "Goalie". Not sure I would keep one with a Betta and the 10g might be to small also.
Here is a pic:

View attachment 558032

Oh, by the way, "Welcome" to the forum.

Best of Luck!
So cute, and thanks! Now your bamboo shrimp, does he float/swim near the surface of the water near the filter, or on the ground in the current of the filter?? Because my betta kind of “owns” the surface of my tank, and I wouldn’t want him to feel threatened if that’s where the bamboo shrimp would normally hang out.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It goes where ever it wants and perches itself with out stretch fans to catch food, has found sort of cave in a piece of driftwood. As mentioned not sure, but the Betta might consider it food. You might want to check out this link for more info:

OP
hannah662parker

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It goes where ever it wants and perches itself with out stretch fans to catch food, has found sort of cave in a piece of driftwood. As mentioned not sure, but the Betta might consider it food. You might want to check out this link for more info:
That article did help a lot! Sadly I’ll probably have to say no on a bamboo shrimp, I don’t think it would filter feed too well in my tank. Thanks so much for all the help!

Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom