Thinking Of A Native Tank.... Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flyin-lowe, Jul 27, 2019.

1. flyin-lowe

flyin-loweWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    2 years
    I haven't been on the forum for several years. I used to have my 125 set up with angel fish and live plants. I had to tear it down in 2012 during a move and it has been in storage since. I am getting the bug again and have always wanted a native tank, with fish from Indiana. I have a couple questions....
    I have an attached garage that I am going to set the tank up in. It is somewhat temperature controlled. My furnace is in there so in the summer it gets the affect of some of the AC, it never gets above 80 degrees in there, in the winter it stays above 50. I know I can use a heater if needed but will I have issues if the water gets near or just above 80 degrees in the heat of the summer?

I was thinking about different native species, bluegill, pumpkins seed, rock bass, bull head, etc. Nothing that will get too big and not enough to over crowd. My question is, if I get these fish small is there a chance I can get them to eat artificial food, or is live food the only viable option with native species? I have had tanks in the past that rely on live food and eventually get tired of the trips to the pet store, keeping another tank for feeders etc.

Any other thoughts/concerns with native tanks are appreciated. When I had the tank going in the past I had to AC 110 filters on it. I am thinking about a canister filter but not sure yet.

2. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,411
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The species you listed should take pellets pretty good. My concern would be the temperature getting close to 80. That's what did my native minnows in.

3. MissNoodle

MissNoodleWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +786
    Also check on local laws in even keeping natives. My area its illegal, which is a pity. I love me some central mudminnows, they're so cute.

4. OP
    OP
    flyin-lowe

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    2 years
    At my old house I had an RO unit for my planted angel fish tank. I was thinking about getting another one just to have more stable water. I would usually do 25 gallon water changes, 20 gallons of RO water and 5 gallons from my outside spigot, well water. I know the angles fish and others I had needed the better water. I haven't gotten a test kit to see what I am dealing with for the well at this house, curious if people with native tanks typically use RO water or not?

5. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,411
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I didn't but my water straight from the well is pretty neutral. Ph 7.2 with 0,0,0 and medium hardness. Its not much different from the stream 150 feet from my house.

6. OP
    OP
    flyin-lowe

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    2 years
    I just ordered a test kit and need to dig my hardness meter out. Once I see what I am dealing with I'll know more. I always just figured RO water would always be the best way to go but from some of the reading I have been doing, in most cases native species don't need it at all. I too would assume that the water straight from my well would be somewhat similar to local water sources the fish live int.

7. OP
    OP
    flyin-lowe

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    2 years
    I got my test kit today. The nitrite and nitrate with both 0. I used the standard ph test and it showed 7.6. I used the high range test kit and it showed 7.4. When I first did the ammonia test it showed .50 so I tested again and it showed between 0 and .25. Ill test it again tomorrow and see if I was seeing things or if I get a more accurate test.

8. OP
    OP
    flyin-lowe

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    2 years
    I picked up an API GH and KH test kit today. The KH took 20 drops and the GH took 24 drops. Both were samples right out of the well. I bought a sediment filter from a local RV dealer last week. I am going to hook it up and test a sample from it to see if it is any different.

9. OP
    OP
    flyin-lowe

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    2 years
    I got a start this week. I got the tank set up, gravel rinsed, and driftwood cleaned up. So far other then the new filter I am using everything else that has been in storage. The most shocking thing to me was the driftwood. I had the driftwood in my old tank for a year, maybe two. Since it was in a basement for the last several years I went ahead and boiled it, just in case there was any contaminants. I was amazed at the amount of tannins that came out of the wood. I assumed since it had been in a tank that long (wasn't leaching tannins into the water) before that there wouldn't be any more tannins in the wood. The water came out like dark tea when I was done. Right now I just have some rocks sitting in there to hold the driftwood down. I will rearrange them once the wood soaks up enough water to not float.

The water is still a little cloudy, from the gravel.

IMG_3281.JPG

10. OP
    OP
    flyin-lowe

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    2 years
    I picked up a few plants to help get things started. I am going to try to cycle this almost instantly, I have seeded media, these plants, and will dose with TSS Plus. Here is a picture after I added some plants. I plan on many more plants but just wanted some to help with water quality/cycling. I will be adding 4 fish tomorrow, they are all less then 2 inches....
    The FX4 had the water crystal clear after 24 hours.

IMG_3304.JPG

11. OP
    OP
    flyin-lowe

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    2 years
    I added some more plants since the last pick and my first round of fish. 2 small bluegill and 2 small perch. A week after adding the fish, TSS, plants, and seeded material my water is testing 0,0,10. So it appears to be cycled. Ill test again next week at the 14 day mark before adding more fish, assuming the water still tests good. IMG_3317.JPG

Become a Fishlore Member