Thinking of a nano indian biotope

1. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

I have this 8 gallon tank. It currently houses the last of my mycos infected endlers which I'm going to be euthanizing probably next week after I get up the guts to do it again.

I've been going back and forth the past few days on what I want to do with it, assuming I can figure out where I'm going to set it up (its spot is being taken probably by a 10 gallon red lace guppy pair). Going back and forth and to and fro with more guppies, shellies, bumblebee gobies (I still like this idea but I feel the tank might be a bit small for an appropriately sized group) and pea puffers.

Assuming I get a spot for it, and I think I have one in mind, WHAT AM I GONNA DO? lol...

So I got to thinking - I love the puffers. And there are a lot of other fish from India that I seriously want to get, the most prominent being Scarlet Badis. So what about a loose indian biotope? A pair of pea puffers and a pair of Scarlet Badis?

Having never kept the puffers, I'd love some input on that stocking. I'd keep tons of snails in the tank, of course, and I'm getting a scud colony started, I'm determined to do it anyway for my wild bettas, so there would be food for the dario dario pair. I might also try putting some shrimp in there assuming I can manage to get a colony going. I also often have worms and such available as food items, so like I said, there will be food for the finnicky eaters.

Assuming I'm crazy and this is a terrible idea, I'd love to know if anyone has successfully kept bumblebee gobies in a pair or harem situation in a small tank.

2. OP
    OP
    junebug

Gah... I type this and remember all the times I've told people not to house pea puffers with other fish. >.> I just said it again like five minutes ago lol.

I'm thinking if you literally can't see the ground from the top of the tank, and can't see one side from the other or the back from the front... so lots of plants, obviously.

Guyzzz help me pick fish :( lol.

3. OP
    OP
    junebug

Bumpity bump bump

4. Harlebleondora

Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

5. OP
    OP
    junebug

I thought they were schooling fish? If so, they totally wouldn't fit in this tank.

Gah now I'm going back and forth between the indian biotope, the multis, and an ember tetra only tank.

WHYYYY.

Someone tell me what tank you'd do if this was yours. Please. Seriously. LOL I want all of these fish so badly and there is only room for one tank. So, pea puffers and scarlet badis (assuming I can make that work - if not I can move the badis to another tank), multis, or bumblebee goby pair or trio?

6. lollipopkiller

lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

lol its puffer fever isnt it? im getting first pick on thursday and i was totally wanting the same pairs 2 puffers 2 badis but than my tank is a 10g and im debating on if its 2 small still :p decisions decisions...

7. OP
    OP
    junebug

If I did a puffer only tank, I'd get 4 and call it a day.... Of course one of the ones I'd be getting is a known murderer of other puffers lol but leaves other species alone.

Grr decisions decisions.

8. lollipopkiller

you should get 3 females to a male if then they spread out abuse. if i was going to do it id play it off like a betta with a small mirror if agression started.

9. OP
    OP
    junebug

I don't think it makes much difference with pea puffers lol. The one I know I'll be getting if I do an Indian biotope is a female. She has killed every other puffer she's been paired with for breeding since her original mate died. They are just really mean fish :p

10. lollipopkiller

hum thats really strange could it have been from pain of losing a mate? i wonder...

11. OP
    OP
    junebug

They aren't monogamous, so I doubt it. They're just mean fish.

12. Harlebleondora

Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

Hmm, had a look at these fish and for some reason in my head I has this thought that they were tiny about 4cm long but really they are 8cm. Scratch that idea.

A multi tank would be cool. :)

13. Fibsog

Fibsog New Member Member

Gouramis are nice indian fish

Sent from my iPod touch using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum