Thinking of a Gourami -10g advice?

1. Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

I was considering getting a honey gourami or two for my ten gallon- nothing else in there at the moment (well, a small pleco that is going to be rehomed in the coming months) but I was hoping to add a few shrimp or nerite snails.

So everything that is currently in the tank or that I am thinking of adding is quite peaceful, so I am not really worried about any possible fighting. My main concerns are how hardy the fish is as well as how timid.

I only have a few plastic plants and a cave like fixture in my tank at the moment (not confident enough to do the live plant thing yet). Would the honey spend all its time hiding or would it grow more active after settling into the tank? Is this even enough cover to make it feel comfortable if it needs to hide anyway?

Also, since I'm a beginner, I've had trouble with less hardy fish in the past. I would really like to get a fish that is not too delicate for numerous reasons which I am sure are obvious.

Look forward to hearing from you all and thanks for any advice!

2. tpasser2 Member Member

3. davebowden Member Member

Hi,
    I cant see you having a problem with any gourami. Honey's will be a bit timid at firsrt,but will soon settle down. Have a think about the pearl gourami, its a bit more peaceful. Give them a go !! :;hf

4. Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

Well, we went to get a honey gourami from the store but the tank looked relatively sickly, so we decided to wait until the tank looks healthier. We figured it wasn't likely that they were all just napping near the top of the water :p

5. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Id rehome the pleco first, then get the honeys.

6. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Good call on waiting to get the fish.

I thought I had posted this before however I must have only thought it.

Live plants unless left to rot in an aquarium will never be a harm to the fish, you may actually find that the fish like them better than the plastic ones. Things like Java Fern and anubias are VERY easy to grow and require no additional care on your part, some other plants are very easy to grow as well and may only require a slight lighting adjustment.

In a 10gal I could easily see a Honey with a small school of say endlers or Celestial Pearl Danios or even possibly some neons. I think that a few other fish with him would help to relax the fish a bit faster and also give you some other fish in the tank to look at.

7. Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

Thanks everyone

8. Legures Member Member

The timidness of your fish just depends on your personality. I would predict that it would become less timid over time so don't worry about it of he seem timid.