Thinking About Switching From Saltwater

drew49

Reaction score
Hi, am new here. Thinking about switching from saltwater to freshwater. Just curious can I keep my sump. Tank is 75 gallons and I already drilled it before with an overflow. Sump Is a trigger ruby red 36. I’ve had salt for about 10 yrs. had fresh before but only a short time, maybe 1 month. I know things I don’t need to bring over but really don’t want to buy a new tank. Would like to keep the sump. Is it a good idea?

fa4960

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I love my freshwater sump and would not be without it. Room for loads of filter media unrivalled by any canister on the market, plus hiding all my equipment. Do keep it.

drew49

Reaction score
Do you all just use the ceramic rings? For the bb? Like fluval . In my town I only have 2 choices Petco or PetSmart. Or order online. Which is what I do for my salt needs. Really want to do a planted tank. But also like Cichlids. I will do some research before setting up of course.

fa4960

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have both sponges and ceramic materials in my sump, following the mechanical pre-filter with filter floss. Ceramic filter media is somewhat overpriced and is in many cases just pumice stone in various sizes. Hence you could just try to source some pumice stone in sizes that fits your sump - something I will probably do next time I build a sump.

Here in Thailand I have found pumice chips in size 8 - 16 mm at only USD 1 per kg. In comparison 1 liter of Seachem Matrix is USD 12 - 15

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore! I hope you find the site helpful and enjoyable.

max h

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
give the tank and sump a good scrubbing with water and vinegar, then rinse it really well. you shouldn't be able to notice a vinegar odor. For the sump you could use cheap plastic pot scrubbers for a biomedia or lava rock since its very porous.

drew49

Reaction score
give the tank and sump a good scrubbing with water and vinegar, then rinse it really well. you shouldn't be able to notice a vinegar odor. For the sump you could use cheap plastic pot scrubbers for a biomedia or lava rock since its very porous.
Yea I’m going to have to do some research setting it up filtration wise, placement and such. I’m assuming I could place the lava rock in the refugium section. Maybe the scrubbers in the drain section?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom