Thinking about starting a saltwater tank

Dillan Murphy

I'm will be getting a 75 gallon tank after my son is born in 2 months. I have always had freshwater tanks, so I know how to maintain a aquarium. How much harder would a saltwater tank be, and want kind of fish can I have in a 75 gallon? Will it be way more expensive or about the same?

Mudminnow

Dillan Murphy said:
How much harder would a saltwater tank be..?
In my experience (in terms of maintenance)...it depends. My FOWLR tank was easy, just as easy as any freshwater tank. My planted macroalgae tank was about as much work as a low tech planted tank. And, my reef tank was about as much work as my high tech/high light planted tanks.
Dillan Murphy said:
Will it be way more expensive or about the same?
I've found saltwater is more expensive.

Jesterrace

Dillan Murphy said:
I'm will be getting a 75 gallon tank after my son is born in 2 months. I have always had freshwater tanks, so I know how to maintain a aquarium. How much harder would a saltwater tank be, and want kind of fish can I have in a 75 gallon? Will it be way more expensive or about the same?
A lot of it depends on which route you go. Fish Only Saltwater really isn't much harder than an average planted tank. That said there are lots of differences between Freshwater and Saltwater and lots of "bad habits" to shed before converting over so I do recommend learning the differences first. Also with the size of tank you are looking at it is generally best to buy a used reef ready setup with a tank drilled for a sump. This saves a lot of money and hassle in the long run and gives you more flexibility (ie easy refugium, less maintenance). It will definitely be more expensive than an average joe type freshwater setup, but once again it all depends on how crazy you get with it. I recommend starting out with this vid though to learn the differences between freshwater and saltwater:

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom