Question Thinking About Setting Up A Betta Tank

miss.mikn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm thinking about setting up a small (3-5 gallon, haven't decided on size yet) betta tank but I don't know a lot about bettas.

If y'all could give any advice on starting (something you wish you'd known, do's and don'ts, etc.) I'd appreciate it! I definitely want to have all the information I can before I get started with it.

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
A 5 gallon is better than a 3 gallon. Also, what other questions do you have in mind?

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bettas are awesome! I currently have 4 betta only tanks and am in the process of setting up a breeding set up. I would go with a 5 gallon, good filter and heater. They like warmer water than most fish

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have been keeping bettas for about three and a half years now, and I don't recommend a tank smaller than five gallons, they really will explore every inch of their tank regardless of the size, but the five gallon gave them that extra bit of room to swim around much more easily than they ever did in a smaller tank. The water chemistry is also easier to balance in a larger tank because of the larger window for error, as a smaller tank would quickly get out of hand if a water change was missed or something went wrong with the water.

The general care is overall very simple, there isn't much to it when trying to keep a betta, but they can be quite fussy believe it or not, mine had so many issues before I was able to secure a somewhat liveable tank for any fish.

I recommend a low flow filter, something that won't throw them around the tank. I use an internal filter by aqueon that is recommended for up to ten gallons, but I also supplement that with an airstone connected to a pump. You will also want to get a quality heater, and I recommend an adjustable one so that you can customize the output of heat in the volume of water you are trying to heat, as a lot of preset heaters have had faulty thermometers which heated the tanks beyond the set temperature. If you aren't getting any live plants, then only use the softest of silk plants with no jagged edges or rough spots at all, any present imperfections can be sanded down, and a questionable piece of decor can be run through a pair of pantyhose to check for snagging. If it snags, then it will not be suitable for a fish with thin fins, which is exactly what a betta has.

The next important thing is to supply them with a hearty diet, and I recommend a high quality pellet or flake food as a staple, which can be added onto by feeding some occasional frozen foods like bloodworms or brine shrimp.

I can't wait to see what you come up with!

OP
miss.mikn

miss.mikn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Crispii said:
A 5 gallon is better than a 3 gallon. Also, what other questions do you have in mind?
Yeah, I'll probably get a 5 gallon. As far as other questions, I can't really think of any specifically. I'm just looking for general care guidelines.

e_watson09 said:
Bettas are awesome! I currently have 4 betta only tanks and am in the process of setting up a breeding set up. I would go with a 5 gallon, good filter and heater. They like warmer water than most fish
Good to know! I keep my freshwater tank at about 79 degrees, so I'm good with the warmer water.

Fanatic said:
I have been keeping bettas for about three and a half years now, and I don't recommend a tank smaller than five gallons, they really will explore every inch of their tank regardless of the size, but the five gallon gave them that extra bit of room to swim around much more easily than they ever did in a smaller tank. The water chemistry is also easier to balance in a larger tank because of the larger window for error, as a smaller tank would quickly get out of hand if a water change was missed or something went wrong with the water.

The general care is overall very simple, there isn't much to it when trying to keep a betta, but they can be quite fussy believe it or not, mine had so many issues before I was able to secure a somewhat liveable tank for any fish.

I recommend a low flow filter, something that won't throw them around the tank. I use an internal filter by aqueon that is recommended for up to ten gallons, but I also supplement that with an airstone connected to a pump. You will also want to get a quality heater, and I recommend an adjustable one so that you can customize the output of heat in the volume of water you are trying to heat, as a lot of preset heaters have had faulty thermometers which heated the tanks beyond the set temperature. If you aren't getting any live plants, then only use the softest of silk plants with no jagged edges or rough spots at all, any present imperfections can be sanded down, and a questionable piece of decor can be run through a pair of pantyhose to check for snagging. If it snags, then it will not be suitable for a fish with thin fins, which is exactly what a betta has.

The next important thing is to supply them with a hearty diet, and I recommend a high quality pellet or flake food as a staple, which can be added onto by feeding some occasional frozen foods like bloodworms or brine shrimp.

I can't wait to see what you come up with!
I'll definitely go with live plants, I like the way they look much better. Thank you so much; that was so helpful and I'm really excited to get a tank and get it started

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Have you figure what live plants you're going to use?

OP
miss.mikn

miss.mikn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Crispii said:
Have you figure what live plants you're going to use?
I’m not sure yet. Probably something that isn’t really demanding and is pretty hardy

New Threads