Thinking About Setting Up A 20 Gallon High

VeeCeeJay

Reaction score
Hey folks! So I’m thinking about setting up a new 20g high freshwater tank. I currently have two little aquaponic tanks. The first tank is 3g, it is made by Back to the Roots, it has a male veiltail Betta and an African dwarf frog, up top I am growing some bamboo currently. My other tank is 3.5g, made by Top Fin, has 3 neon tetras (the rest of the school recently died), and 1 albino Cory, up top I’m growing an English ivy. I have personally never kept anything bigger than these, but there is a seasoned aquarist in my household. I want more fish and my two little tanks are quickly getting crowded.
I’m not sure if I should move all of my fish (and frog) to one bigger tank? Or keep one (or both) of the small tanks and fill the 20g with new fish. Some other fish I would like to keep are: Neon blue dwarf Gourami, German blue ram, Leopard or pea puffer, fancy guppies, 24k gold white clouds, Chili Rasboras, more tetras, and more Cories.
My questions are:
How would you suggest I stock my tanks?
How many of each fish and in which tank?
Are these fish going to be hardy and good for a beginner like me?
Which tanks should I keep the 3g, 3.5g, or 20g, or some combinations of them?
Thanks for your help and advice in advance.

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Definitely move your neons to the 20 and put their school back up to 6, throw in the betta and frog as well. They really all need rehoming so just put em all in the 20. By then you will have room for another tetra species.

VeeCeeJay

Reaction score
I would also like some shrimp and maybe some more ADFs. I realize that all of these animals are not compatible and there is not enough room for all of them. But that is my question which fish would you suggest I keep, how many of each, and in what tank?

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tear down your small tanks after moving all of your fish to the 20 (after it is cycled). Then up your neon school to 6. Next, add one more adf. Then add some rummynose tetras.

You might get away with some ghost shrimp, but there is always the risk of your betta eating them.

Hego_Damask

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It depends on your Betta. If he can get along with everyone else without, ya know, murdering other fish, move everyone to the 20.

Up both your neons & corys to 6

VeeCeeJay

Reaction score
Discus-Tang said:
Definitely move your neons to the 20 and put their school back up to 6, throw in the betta and frog as well. They really all need rehoming so just put em all in the 20. By then you will have room for another tetra species.
Could I do a small school of male fancy guppies instead of another tetra species?

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
puffer boi said:
i forget why

but i remember people saying that the 20 high is too tall for them.
Yes because they need to breathe, like bettas.

VeeCeeJay said:
Could I do a small school of male fancy guppies instead of another tetra species?
Yes but they need not be in a school. Just make sure you get a least 3 with 1 male for every 2 females.

Lunnietic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would first see if your betta is actually able to live with other fish before increasing your numbers. Some betas absolutely cannot live with other fish at all. Some really couldn't care less.

I would move the neons over to the 20 gallon, and the betta. (I would keep the 3.5 just in case for a back up plan for your betta, maybe keep the frog in there until you know for sure the betta can or cannot live with other fish).

puffer boi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i would do,
neons 10
betta
corys
and shrimp
bettas and guppys dont get along usually becuase of the guppys bright cloros

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
VeeCeeJay said:
No!

Male bettas do not do well with other long finned fishes.

Corys need to go to 6, neons a minimum of 6, your betta and you only have room for one school of smallish fish.

I’ve got 3 20 talls. They get filled fast.

I would leave the frog where it is. I have also read they don’t do well in tall tanks.

When I wanted to do a community betta tank in a 20 tall, I had 5-6 people tell me to go with the 20 long for a betta. I took their advice and have a happy betta in a 20 long with 6 sterbia corys.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Keep the betta in the 3.5 gallon, get a bigger school of tetras to the 20 and 2 female gourami (can just be one if it is then it can be a male) keep the frogs in the 3 gal and move Cory to 20 gal add more cories so it can school (if the albino isn't a schooling fish then nm)

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I suggest keeping one of the smaller tanks for a QT just in case. Always better to be safe, than sorry. And also to have an extra one for such pending instances etc. That's just me though, as it's your call.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom