Thinking About Saltwater Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Turtles&Cories, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Turtles&Cories

Turtles&CoriesNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +56
    Experience:
    1 year
    I've been thinking about doing a small saltwater tank recently and already picked my theoretical stocking. How would a clown fish, 2 lawnmower blennys and a cleaner shrimp fare in a 20 long?

2. bettaf1sh 7789

bettaf1sh 7789Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +81
    I would do a clown pair and one blenny. Just be sure to add the clowns last as they can become territorial and I would also recommend buying the two clowns at the same time while they are both still juveniles. It’s much easier to get them to pair if they are both juveniles and neither has had time to adjust to the tank and become territorial.

3. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Experience:
    1 year
    The thing to understand about saltwater fish is that you generally only want one per species unless they are a mated pair (Clownfish being one of the few exceptions), they are more like putting 2 male betta fish together. Lawnmower Blenny gets too big for a 20 Long and will likely starve in one as they need to graze throughout the day on algae. A Tailspot Blenny would be a much better choice for a 20 Long, but I would still wait to get one until the tank is more established with some algae for it to graze on. A Royal Gramma Basslet would be a fun addition to a 20 Long and would definitely stand out in the tank:

4. OP
    OP
    Turtles&Cories

Ratings:
    +56
    Experience:
    1 year
    Would a Fluval 106 or an AquaClear 30 be ok for filtration? What kind of light should I use for a fowlr setup? I have zero experience with saltwater and just want to know my options.

5. Jesterrace

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Experience:
    1 year
    Canister Filtration is the most trouble prone filtration method in a saltwater tank. By nature they are an enclosed system which is very prone to building up and trapping nasties over time. An HOB Filter on the other hand is a good choice for a small salty tank.

Also this video might help you with the differences between saltwater and fresh and give you an idea of what to be prepared for:

6. Jesterrace

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Experience:
    1 year
    As far as the light, any basic LED light bar will be fine for FOWLR. Fish don't care.

7. OP
    OP
    Turtles&Cories

Ratings:
    +56
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thank you, that was a very informative video! subbed btw

8. Jesterrace

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thanks, I just wish that youtube hadn't forced me to chose between the 3 most Gomer snapshots for the vid.

9. MarvinTheBetta

MarvinTheBettaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    3 years
    If you get one I recommend the Seachem Tidal. It is pretty good.