Thinking About Saltwater

bettaf1sh 7789

I would do a clown pair and one blenny. Just be sure to add the clowns last as they can become territorial and I would also recommend buying the two clowns at the same time while they are both still juveniles. It’s much easier to get them to pair if they are both juveniles and neither has had time to adjust to the tank and become territorial.

Jesterrace

Well Known
Turtles&Cories said:
I've been thinking about doing a small saltwater tank recently and already picked my theoretical stocking. How would a clown fish, 2 lawnmower blennys and a cleaner shrimp fare in a 20 long?
The thing to understand about saltwater fish is that you generally only want one per species unless they are a mated pair (Clownfish being one of the few exceptions), they are more like putting 2 male betta fish together. Lawnmower Blenny gets too big for a 20 Long and will likely starve in one as they need to graze throughout the day on algae. A Tailspot Blenny would be a much better choice for a 20 Long, but I would still wait to get one until the tank is more established with some algae for it to graze on. A Royal Gramma Basslet would be a fun addition to a 20 Long and would definitely stand out in the tank:

OP
Turtles&Cories

Turtles&Cories

Jesterrace said:
The thing to understand about saltwater fish is that you generally only want one per species unless they are a mated pair (Clownfish being one of the few exceptions), they are more like putting 2 male betta fish together. Lawnmower Blenny gets too big for a 20 Long and will likely starve in one as they need to graze throughout the day on algae. A Tailspot Blenny would be a much better choice for a 20 Long, but I would still wait to get one until the tank is more established with some algae for it to graze on. A Royal Gramma Basslet would be a fun addition to a 20 Long and would definitely stand out in the tank:
Would a Fluval 106 or an AquaClear 30 be ok for filtration? What kind of light should I use for a fowlr setup? I have zero experience with saltwater and just want to know my options.

Jesterrace

Well Known
Canister Filtration is the most trouble prone filtration method in a saltwater tank. By nature they are an enclosed system which is very prone to building up and trapping nasties over time. An HOB Filter on the other hand is a good choice for a small salty tank.

Also this video might help you with the differences between saltwater and fresh and give you an idea of what to be prepared for:

Jesterrace

Well Known
As far as the light, any basic LED light bar will be fine for FOWLR. Fish don't care.

OP
Turtles&Cories

Turtles&Cories

Jesterrace said:
As far as the light, any basic LED light bar will be fine for FOWLR. Fish don't care.
Thank you, that was a very informative video! subbed btw

Jesterrace

Well Known
Turtles&Cories said:
Thank you, that was a very informative video! subbed btw
Thanks, I just wish that youtube hadn't forced me to chose between the 3 most Gomer snapshots for the vid.

MarvinTheBetta

Turtles&Cories said:
I've been thinking about doing a small saltwater tank recently and already picked my theoretical stocking. How would a clown fish, 2 lawnmower blennys and a cleaner shrimp fare in a 20 long?
If you get one I recommend the Seachem Tidal. It is pretty good.

New Threads