Thinking About Raising Guppies In A Storage Bin, I Need Help

Daeraizover

Hey All, So I've been seeing videos online lately of people raising upping in a big or tote or even in some cases a storage bin. Now I went out and purchased a Sterlite Brand one that's 62L and have wiped it down with water only. I'm not trying to go too crazy but I was thinking of starting off with either 1 male 3 females or 2 males 6 females as I will be using this as a breeder bin. Also I plan on keeping this bin on my balcony so they will get natural sunlight thru the day with shade included.

As far as what would be in the tank, I'm thinking about running:

A Topfin SF20 Sponge Filter that is good for up to 20 gallons
Floating live plants
water declorinator
netrite snail
a small algae eater such as an octinculus
a bottom feeder such as a Cory

outside of this I think I should be fine. I will mention that I live in Miami Florida were the sun provides enough heat and its not cold at night so a heater is not necessary. is there anything you guys feel I might be missing from this setup or if anybody who has raised guppies this way have anything to chime in with? My only other thing is that I'm unsure how ammonia will play out and if the Cory will eat any poop that the fish make

NearMeBettas

I breed bettas in Sterlite bins and it works great. As for the corydoras catfish they need to be in schools of six or more. Everything else looks good.

MyFishAddiction

I believe JettsPapa and emeraldking do this.

Daeraizover

I breed bettas in Sterlite bins and it works great. As for the corydoras catfish they need to be in schools of six or more. Everything else looks good.
can you tell me how you deal with water changes. is it something you specifically don't need to change if there is enough plants or do you change it as if the fish were in tanks? in other words change it and add back declorinator?

do you also deal with any type of ammonia issues as well?

NearMeBettas

can you tell me how you deal with water changes. is it something you specifically don't need to change if there is enough plants or do you change it as if the fish were in tanks? in other words change it and add back declorinator?

do you also deal with any type of ammonia issues as well?
Its just like a tank, If its big enough and, you have enough live plants, that will lessen the water changes needed. You will still need to cycle it, adding some décor, substrate, water etc. from a running aquarium can speed the cycle though. :)

ProudPapa

I just started raising guppies in tubs this spring. I have them in 20+ gallon tubs with no filtration, but they all have large amounts of plants to help with water quality.

I'm in southeast Texas, so my climate is similar to yours. I also don't have heaters in them, and they're in almost full shade,

I have snails in all three tubs, along with shrimp in two of them. I wouldn't recommend otos or corys. Corydoras don't eat fish poop anyway, but snails and shrimp will.

Daeraizover

I just started raising guppies in tubs this spring. I have them in 20+ gallon tubs with no filtration, but they all have large amounts of plants to help with water quality.

I'm in southeast Texas, so my climate is similar to yours. I also don't have heaters in them, and they're in almost full shade,

I have snails in all three tubs, along with shrimp in two of them. I wouldn't recommend otos or corys. Corydoras don't eat fish poop anyway, but snails and shrimp will.
got it, good tip on that cuz I have plenty of nitrite snails and I can pick up some ghost shrimp. Let me ask you considering that my bin is 16 gallon, do you think that is still sufficient enough to raise the guppies? what I plan to do is as soon as the parents have babies I will move the parents back to my regular tank.

the dimensions of my been is:

24"L x 16"W x 13 7/8"H

ProudPapa

I'm not experienced enough to say whether or not that's large enough, but I think it probably is.

Daeraizover

I'm not experienced enough to say whether or not that's large enough, but I think it probably is.
thank you for your input

UnknownGuppyLover

Let me ask you considering that my bin is 16 gallon, do you think that is still sufficient enough to raise the guppies? what I plan to do is as soon as the parents have babies I will move the parents back to my regular tank.

the dimensions of my been is:

24"L x 16"W x 13 7/8"H
I believe I may have the same tub as you? But mine is a Sterilite 15G. My guppies are doing great in them. I live in California so also a similar climate as yours. I keep a heater in mine only when it gets around winter time and the temps can drop to 50F. They get lethargic but I’ve never seen them die off in these temps. You’d worry more about the heat than the cold imo.

emeraldking

They should be okay in there. Plants will do a lot to the water quality. There's really not that much to it.
Here's a link to my own website. And shows how I keep fish outdoors: http://emeraldking-aquatics.com/outdoors
Maybe this might help you out a bit.

ProudPapa

thank you for your input

Be sure to keep us updated on how it goes.

I believe I may have the same tub as you? But mine is a Sterilite 15G. My guppies are doing great in them. I live in California so also a similar climate as yours. I keep a heater in mine only when it gets around winter time and the temps can drop to 50F. They get lethargic but I’ve never seen them die off in these temps. You’d worry more about the heat than the cold imo.

I think I'll just bring mine in when it starts to get cold. I have some snails and shrimp that will be getting new roommates.

And from my admittedly limited experience that 50°F is a good target. I had initially stocked one of my tubs in April, then a surprise cool front brought the nighttime temperatures down into the 40's for a couple night. I lost all but one fish (the shrimp were fine).
They should be okay in there. Plants will do a lot to the water quality. There's really not that much to it.
Here's a link to my own website. And shows how I keep fish outdoors: Emeraldking-aquatics livebearers
Maybe this might help you out a bit.

Unfortunately that site won't open for me. I just get a blank page.

BPSabelhaus

Be sure to keep us updated on how it goes.

I think I'll just bring mine in when it starts to get cold. I have some snails and shrimp that will be getting new roommates.

And from my admittedly limited experience that 50°F is a good target. I had initially stocked one of my tubs in April, then a surprise cool front brought the nighttime temperatures down into the 40's for a couple night. I lost all but one fish (the shrimp were fine).

Unfortunately that site won't open for me. I just get a blank page.
Are you trying to access from a phone? I’ve found Emeraldkings site to load best on a computer. Certainly worth the trouble.

06BAF69A-27AB-4707-9318-F86080A17399.jpeg

My Endler (guppy) tub. Seasonal up here in Seattle. My first year with one setup. Just saw some fry in there that I know are not from my main tank. Not bad for a first year that started as fry only, no adults. Next year I’m doing two tubs. One will have female snakeskin and blue mosaic guppies with male endlers and the other will continue to be a cull tub. In Florida you should be ok year round. Worst case you toss a heater in there for a week or two.

For plants I have water lily, hornwort, elodea and duckweed. No filter, no bubbler, just still green water. I’ll probably do the breeder tub a bit different next year, I wanted this tub to be greenwater.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BPSabelhaus
  • Tempeste
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
Tol
Replies
Views
Kribensis27