Thinking about putting in small backyard pond

fishnewbie33

Hi Everyone. I've been thinking about putting a small pond on my backyard. I can't remember what the frost line is for NYC (3ft, 3.5ft?). I would like to put it in the corner, PVC fence on 2 sides, and a lightly "wavy" side (shaped like a corner shelf, if that makes sense). I would have a solid island in the middle, possibly with depression in middle of island for soil/plants(reverse donut-esque shape) and cover with liner. I would have a filter as well. I would like to stock with white cloud mountain minnows or various types. 1. Is this a good setup? 2. What is the frost/freeze line for NYC? 3. Would I need to run the filter all winter? The pond is full sun. 4. Can I add tadpoles? If so, what type? Thanks!!!

fishnewbie33

Nobody here but us crickets...

Flyfisha

Every climate faces it’s own challenges.
Perhaps rice fish would work with the amount of ice you get? That species is at least capable of living under ice.

Every country/ state has its own laws on keeping frogs . In my town we have some extremely strong rules requiring permits for keeping anything that doesn’t live in the wild lakes / ponds in our area.

How about a floating island? That would likely be more achievable in a small pond?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
pagoda
Replies
Views
aidanfish2002
Replies
Views
wrs2
  • Question
Replies