Thinking about pushing it with bamboo shrimp

FishOverseer909

So I've been thinking about adding 1 or 2 bamboo/Singapore shrimp into my 20 shrimp tank as I like having a small to big ratio plus I watch them in my LFS almost every time I go in as they're rather interesting creatures but I'm not sure if it would be pushing it tank wise as I'm planning on introducing 12 golden back fire yellow shrimp soon so I'm on the fence about it.

V1K

IMO bamboo shrimp have a relatively low bioload for their size. It's because they are very very passive. They just sit around and filter the water all day long, barely moving otherwise. This means that they don't need to eat much - and their peculiar feeding strategy wouldn't allow that anyway.

What is your tank size, 20 what? 20 liters, 20 gallons, or did you mean there are 20 shrimp in it?

Revan

Shrimp don't have a very high bio-load in general. You probably won't be pushing the tank with 2 bamboo shrimp.

Cherryshrimp420

So I've been thinking about adding 1 or 2 bamboo/Singapore shrimp into my 20 shrimp tank as I like having a small to big ratio plus I watch them in my LFS almost every time I go in as they're rather interesting creatures but I'm not sure if it would be pushing it tank wise as I'm planning on introducing 12 golden back fire yellow shrimp soon so I'm on the fence about it.

They need high flow and lots of organic debris in the water column. Otherwise you will need to manually feed it everyday. If you don't have those conditions they will most likely starve out

FishOverseer909

I appreciate everyone's advice but I've decided that it might be more interesting to have a mixed species shrimp tank so (yellows blues and one color I haven't decided on yet)

V1K

I appreciate everyone's advice but I've decided that it might be more interesting to have a mixed species shrimp tank so (yellows blues and one color I haven't decided on yet)
Are you aware that they would gradually lose colour as they interbreed?

FishOverseer909

Are you aware that they would gradually lose colour as they interbreed?
Wait really?! I thought that they would only start losing colors if they weren't culled properly

Blacksheep1

When the different colours interbreed they’ll eventually revert back to a wild type colouring which is a brown colour. You may get the odd blue/ yellow / red but it’s not like mixing paint, if you bred a blue and a yellow you won’t get a green.

some folk prefer the brown colour’s though so have a research and see what you think.

V1K

Wait really?! I thought that they would only start losing colors if they weren't culled properly
To maintain colour, you have to have a single colour - and yes, cull it. With 3 colours in play, you'd have to cull two thirds of the offspring, since every shrimp only had 1/3 chance of breeding with its own colour, and the rest of the offspring would be off-colour. Obviously that's not sustainable.

The only way to have different shrimp colours in one tank is if you have different species, e.g. yellow cherry shrimp and blue bee shrimp, then they will be unable to interbreed, but bee shrimp is way more finicky about the conditions, so it might be more work and investment than you're willing to do.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
blossawm
Replies
Views
Teishokue
Replies
Views
MaeKay
Replies