Thinking about Mollies or Well Stocked?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by hardcopy, Aug 2, 2015.

1. hardcopyNew MemberMember

Dearest Fishlorians,

I'm excited that my tank has finally finished its new tank syndrome cycling! Yay...

It's a 20 gallon tall tank that has my surviving three red glass barbs and two tiger barbs I got about two months ago. My newest additions are two more tiger barbs and three of the xray looking tetras. I added the newest arrivals yesterday and the tigers instantly grouped together without any territorial issues so far. The tetras are very relaxed. The red barbs appeared a little stressed with their new mates last night but seem normal again today.

I haven't seen any algae build up in the tank yet because of possibly all the water changes needed for the cycling, but I was curious to see what suggestions for other tankmates would be for this group. It's a fairly peaceful tank with the average chasing from two of the red glass barbs and that's about it. I was considering mollies or another kind of tetras but it could be that my tank is well stocked as it is minus an algae eater.

2. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

In the future, you could add some nerite snails to eat the algae. The fish shouldn't bother them, and they don't take up much space (plus they won't take over your tanks since the eggs won't hatch in fresh water).

3. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Tmk, both the tetras and the barbs would be best off in schools of six or more, so once you up their schools to the proper number, I'm not sure how that would add up for bioload. Some mollies won't work in a 20g, but some will, including balloon mollies. You must take their high bioload into consideration though when stocking with mollies.

4. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

To add on to my previous comment, I wouldn't add any mollies. Like BTWB said, they have high bioloads. If it were me, I'd up each of the school of barbs to 6 and rehome the tetras (since 3 schools of 6 medium fish in a 20 gal H seems a lot). You could add snails in the future to keep the algae at bay.

5. hardcopyNew MemberMember

What's the best way to manage the snail control? I'm concerned that they'll keep breeding.

In addition I know that nerite snails don't breed in freshwater, but I'm having difficulty finding a place near me that sells them.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2015
  6. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

You can place zucchini slices in the tank and pull them out hours later when they have a bunch of snails on them. Alternatively, assassin snails kill pest snails, but they also breed in fresh and can get slightly high in numbers...

7. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I would not get mollies, most types are too big for a 20 and they have high bioloads. I would not get balloon mollies because that is supporting a cruel business imo (balloon mollies are bred with a deformity that makes them have shorter lifespans and it's painful for them to swim).

8. Bob EllisValued MemberMember

To be fair, nobody has proven that the deformity causes pain. I personally have an abnormally-curved spine and have no pain from it.

9. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

True..... but it does make it difficult for them to swim. Though we don't know or not, as you are a human and these are fish we are talking about.

10. Bob EllisValued MemberMember

And similarly many long-finned varieties of other fish have a harder time swimming as well. This hobby is a balance between vanity and empathy, each makes his or her own boundary. Some folks borderline mistreat their animals they way their care for them and other folks decry the idea of captive pets altogether. (And this is coming from a professional biologist.)

Based on my knowledge of vertebrate physiology I would say that a Balloon Molly has a less 'harmful' selected trait than many of the short-nosed dog species that everyone adores, I would even say the eyes and eyesacs of celestial eye and bubble eye goldfish are potentially more detrimental to the individual fish's ability to thrive than a curved spine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice