Thinking about Kribs? 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by e_watson09, Apr 3, 2010.

1. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Well we have a lone 29 gallon tank in my living room and it looks rather drab sitting there half empty with no fish in it so I think it's time to set it back up, we've been remodeling my house so everything looks nice...except this tank.

Well since it's kind of small I'm thinking about maybe doing like a breeding pair of kribs or cons or something like that. I really want to try my hand at breeding with nonlivebarers. I already have a breeding tank of mollies. So I want to try with eggs.

Ideas? Tips?

2. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Hmm, would you be able to take the fry to the LFS I guess is the first question?

3. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

4. platy ben

5. OP
    OP
    e_watson09

Yes! I work at the LFS I already cleared it up with my manager I told her I want to try to breed some different fish because I'm really interested in seeing how the parents take care of the fry and such. Plus everyone that I work with pretty much has atleast one tank so I bet a bunch of them would end up in different coworkers tanks :)

Before I stocked up my 50 gal I thought about getting some but then I heard how aggressive they are so I changed my mind. But idk something cool about if I pick a fish that we don't carry all the time is they pay me 1/3 of the price that they'll sell them for. I'm not after the money but I know that for instance at the store I work at we very rarely sell convicts and the tank has quite a large ammount in there so I don't know how many they'd take or if I'd have to drive to some of the other locations.

But I literally have....
    Petsmart
    Complete Petmart
    Jacks Aquarium and pets (numerous locations are close to me)
    Superpets (a little further but still close)
    Petco (a little further but still close)

Then two local fish stores that I know where they are and then one that I don't know where it is but I know it exisits. So regaurdless I'm sure I can find them new homes since I have so many different locations at my fingertips and then craigslist of coarse :p

6. Elodea

Holy moly you wrote it? :;nw

How do you write articles like that for the magazine? It is a very good article, very impressive. Good job!

7. platy ben

Just ask Mike for the email then you can send articles in and he sometimes puts them in the monthly magazine :D I wrote a shelldweller breeding article the other day which should be coming up in a magazine soon :D

8. OP
    OP
    e_watson09

That was actually really helpful. But since I only have a 29 gallon how many should I get? I can always either return the rest of them. So the spots on the anal fin means it's a female? I can't find a good picture of these spots...

9. platy ben

I would just try and buy a male and female and they will likely pair off :)
    Yup, I always check for spots, then fins, then color. Thats the order which I go by :) The spots will be on the anal fin and will kind of resemble that of an egg spot on a malawi cichlid, just not quite as pronounced.

10. OP
    OP
    e_watson09

What is a marbled convict? Is it a mix between a pink and a normal con?

11. Elodea

What email? Now I'm confused...

About the cons, aren't the males quite a bit larger than the females?

12. OP
    OP
    e_watson09

Well since I don't even have the tank up and running yet maybe I'll just go watch them all next week so I can get a good idea of my choices haha.

13. platy ben

elodea, with adults the male is alot bigger :)

14. OP
    OP
    e_watson09

When they're in a tank full of others is there a way to tell if a pair has been formed if there is no eggs or fry?

15. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

These are my Kribs :)
    1) is a female - see the egg spot on dorsal fin and caudal fin?
    2) a bad pic of my male he just has one egg spot on the caudal fin.
    3) pair in breeding colors :)
    carol

Attached Files:

16. OP
    OP
    e_watson09

Those are gorgeous. How easy are they to breed?

17. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Thank You!
    They were in the tank about a week and then spawned. they still have 14 day old fry in with them and they are checking out the cave again :)
    I've heard they are bad to eat their eggs or fry but these are in a 30g long tank alone and have been excellent parents.
    Carol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice