Thinking About Getting Betta?

1. Bri Bri

Bri Bri New Member Member

Hi I'm new to fish in general, so please don't get upset if I say something inaccurate. I have been doing quite a bit of research on Betta fish and Oscar fish. I think it's best for me to get a Betta fish first because they are more for beginners, to 'test the waters' and see if I should get into fish owning. Is there anything I should know before getting a Betta. Is Aquabid a good site to buy them from vs the pet store? In a 5 gallon tank how many water changes a week would I need to do and how much water (with a filter).

Thanks!

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Do you know about cycling?

Also, welcome to the forum!

Also, the Aquabid bettas are all from Thailand basically. You will get really high quality bettas there, but you will pay a lot for for the fish and shipping.

3. OP
    OP
    Bri Bri

Hi! I do know a little bit about it. I did some research recently. Some people think baceria starters work and some don't . Some say do apply ammonia (I believe that's what it's called) to the tank and slowly do it.

What do you think about it?

Sorry for the questions!

4. 75g Discus Tank

Questions are good when you first start. You don’t need to apologize. It would be a lot better to ask any questions about setting up the tank now than asking questions when you get your fish!

So the nitrogen cycle syptarts with an ammonia is source. I just use fish food. In a stocked aquarium, it naturally comes from decomposing fish poop and fish food. The ammonia is highly toxic to the fish which is why you need to cycle the tank. Normally, there is bacteria to convert this to nitrites. But when you first start, ther isn’t any of that bacteria. So you will need to keep on dosing ammonia through pure ammonia or fish food until enough bacteria builds up to process it. At that point, your test kit should read 0 ppm(parts per million) ammonia, a high amount of nitrites(also highly toxic), and either very little or no nitrates. Then, you will still need to keep dosing ammonia so it can be converted to nitrites. When you see 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrites, and 5+ nitrates, your tank will be cycled. Usually, the nitrates are over 20 ppm after cycling finishes which is harmful to the fish. You can get rid of that with water changes.

Also some supplies you will need for cycling:
    Ammonia source(pure ammonia or fish food)

Filter(Do not change the media even if the filter box says to)

Water(dechlorinated)

Dechlorinator(Seachem Prime is my favorite)

Siphon(For water changes)

API Freshwater Master Kit(Liquid test kit because strips aren’t as accurate and more expensive)

Also, cycling usually takes about 1-2 months so be patient!

Hopefully, some other members will come along and help explain this in more detail.

5. OP
    OP
    Bri Bri

Thank you so very much! I am doing Summer classes at the moment and I don't want to risk harming a fish over being so busy. During this time though, I will research more. By the time I have less work and if I still want a fish, I think it's a sign I should go for it.

Do you think I should get a betta first if I get a fish to start off? I am more fond of Oscars personally but I think it would be foolish to go buy a fish more for intermediate fish keepers at my level of experience.

6. 75g Discus Tank

Oscars need much larger tanks, but larger tanks are easier to manage due to the dilution of ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

I would recommend at least a 75 for one oscar. If you can fit this anywhere, it would be easier to maintain.

7. OP
    OP
    Bri Bri

I have heard many people saying 55-75, wasn't too sure which was best. Thanks so much for the clarification!

If I can save enough money and gather some experience, maybe I could get a single Oscar one day!

Again, thanks for your help. Have a great day!

8. 75g Discus Tank

If you want some betta info, @Katie13 and @KaderTheAnt have bred and raised some bettas before.

9. OP
    OP
    Bri Bri

Thanks again pal!

10. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

You couldnt be more opposite of the spectrum between bettas and oscars.

One stays tiny, needs only a few gallons, a simple sponge filter is all the filtration required, its inexpensive food, etc.. The other is measured in pounds and needs hundreds of gallons along with LARGE, advanced filtration systems and requires an advanced diet to thrive.

Yes, you need to walk before you run, but I wouldnt jump straight from a betta to an oscar with little to no fish keeping experience. Get the betta and see how it goes.

11. OP
    OP
    Bri Bri

Thanks, I agree! I will test out some simple fish before going bigger.

Thanks again for your comment.

12. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Great choice for bettas. I remember when I had one Betta as a PET. Then i wanted another one so he could flare and not be bored.... Then another cause i had a extra tank.... Here we are today where my room has 10 bettas in divided 10 gallon tanks and two Geckos.... Just start of with bettas and soon one day you can own a oscar too!

13. King o´ Angelfish

King o´ Angelfish Valued Member Member

I started with an Angelfish 3 years ago. The angelfish forgave EVERY single rookie mistake I made. That same angelfish I started with is still with me and thriving. Angels are hardier than ppl think!

14. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

I'm so happy that you are coming here and asking questions BEFORE buying a fish. So many people go to the pet store, buy whatever fish the store is willing to sell them, buy a tank that's far too small, then get on here saying "but the guy at the pet store said".

15. OP
    OP
    Bri Bri

Thank you so much! Your reply is very optimistic and supporting! ^^

Awesome to hear that your Angelfish is still alive and well! I might consider one, but I have no prior research on them. Thanks for the comment!

Agh yes... A sad fate for the fish/s indeed... Luckily I have done my research online on the fish/s I am looking into and have found many experienced fishkeeper's advice. Many have warned over petstore's abusive care and how the petstore's sell way to small tanks. I'm so glad I found a website where I can get personal answers! This one.

Thanks for your reply!

16. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Have you heard of the nitrogen cycle? I would recommend a 10 gallon as they’re easier to maintain, cycle a little faster, and they tend to run at a better price than five gallons. You want a heater (I prefer adjustables) set at 78-82 degrees. They tend to do best with sponge or biochemical filters as they don’t knock them around as much as others. Do a water change at least once a week, maybe twice. They love the occasional live or frozen food. Fish also do best with a varying diet. I would recommend switching it up at least a few times a week. Freeze-dried foods are nice. I also have pellets, flakes, and gel food in addition to freeze-dried, frozen, and live food. That’s just the basics.

17. UglyAsian

UglyAsian Well Known Member Member

Once in third grade I had a 1 gallon(Before I researched), and now I have one 70 gallon, 2 55's, a 40 breeder, 2 10's, and a 6 gallon. All that escalated from a 1 gallon. So be patient and start slow.

18. OP
    OP
    Bri Bri

Thank you so much for the reply, if I ever decide to get a Betta fish I will look back on this form. Being grateful what a wonderful community Fish Lore is. Thanks again!

Thanks for the advice! If I ever start fishkeeping and end up enjoying it, I will start slow.

19. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

Wonderful! If you do decide to get a betta fish, just make sure you get the tank first. Weeks in advance.

20. OP
    OP
    Bri Bri

I gotcha! Always got to cycle beforehand.